Saturday, February 4, 2012

Writing to Remember

The stuff I want to remember.....

On the way back from Audrey's dance class on Thursday night we were enjoying a little one on one talk time.  I love when I have just one child with me and can really hear them and listen to what they are saying......Well....Audrey said, out of the blue, "I bet it is really hard to be a parent."  I was surprised she would surmise that on her own and said, "why do you think that".  She said, "cause you have to spank your children when they's be bad."  I told her yes sometimes it was hard but that it was certainly worth it. Then she said....Jackson be's bad a lot (it starts early-so easy to see others sin)....but we all sin and do's bad stuff sometimes."  I assured her that we all be's bad a lot.  Jackson just didn't hide his bad!  House full of sinners.....lavished in grace!
That girl cracks me up!  But I love that she is starting to get it....we do all do's bad stuff!

Just yesterday I did something pretty funny myself!  I stooped to a new all time low :)  I actually can't believe I am putting this out here....but it is funny and if I don't write it down I will forget!  We were leaving a friends house and I had just wrangled the kids from the trampoline.  We were pressed for time because I had to pick Sophie up from another friends house and get out to Alamance to watch Andrew play in a basketball game.  So I busily bustled everyone into the van and Jackson announced he had to pee.  Right Now!  We had NO TIME.  I thought....well we have to make time for this.  I was about to ask my friend if he could use her restroom....then remembered she had just gotten her baby to sleep. She had clearly told all the kids (hers and mine to stay outside and play) I didn't want to disturb nap time (we tend to cause disturbances wherever we go :)) so I did it.....I said, "I have to ask you a question.....and it is out of total desperation.....and it is totally redneck."  She assured me it was fine and to please ask the question.....I said...."Can Jackson pee in your woods?"  Yes I asked.  I blush just typing this.  She laughed and told me a similar yet even more hilarious story on her son and assured me he could pee in her woods and we both laughed hard.  Thank you friend!  Desperate times call for desperate measures!  Ahhh....memories!

Sophie asked me yesterday when we would let her date.  WHAT?????  She's 8 1/2!  So I started talking to find out where this question was coming from.  Evidently some of her friends from church have boyfriends! I'm biting my tongue off!   I asked her why she was wondering that and she said she just wondered and I said it depends on what you mean by date.  I said your friends at church like boys.  They don't date. At least I certainly hope they don't!  I said you can like boys now.  Dating is to figure out who you want to marry so you don't need to do that for a loooooooooong time.  Then I reminded her that her value is because God made her and he says she is valuable.  I reminded her that it feels nice when boys, girls, teachers, parents, friends say nice things about you.....but that doesn't give you your value and I told her that it hurts when boys, girls, teachers, parents, and friends say or do mean things or stop liking you but that doesn't take away your value.  You are valuable because you were created by God and bought with a price and that is what makes you special.  I told her how girls can often forget that and find their value in cute clothes or compliments or attention from boys.....then I assured her that she could talk to boys.  She could have girl and guys friends to our house to hang out with our family.  She could think boys are cute.  She can think boys are nice.....but date....it will be a while.  I told her when she was an older teenager we would let her go and hang out with groups of friends both guys and girls but that it wasn't a great idea to buddy up with a boy too soon and that it would just lead to trouble.  I may send Randy on an errand to the gun shop today!  BUT I am glad she talks to me and cares what I have to say and is listening. I am sure this too shall pass!  Lord please plant seeds in her heart for purity.  Protect her.  Give us wisdom even now for the journey ahead!

Yep Audrey.....parenting is hard but I can think of nothing that I would rather do!



2 comments:

  1. You might want to remind Sophie that she ALREADY has a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete