Thursday, February 23, 2012

Field Trip

Sunday after church Andrew, Sophie, and I packed our bags, jumped in the van, and headed north.
We were going to Williamsburg for Home Education Day.
We had planned to get up and drive up early Monday for the day and then return home.
However we started hearing rumblings about snow and decided to go ahead and head that way and make it an overnight trip.
My parents kept the little ones and Randy stayed home alone....poor guy!


The trip was uneventful until it started to snow....and we came to a very weird drawbridge...over the ocean? or sound?....it was strange....and we didn't pass it on the way back.
Andrew and Sophie have diagnosed me with a severe case of Bridge-a-phobia.
I was terrified.
I do not like bridges....especially high ones....especially ones I've never driven over...especially ones over top of deep/wide/waves.....especially in the dark....especially in the snow.....AND.especially ones that open, I'd like to know who ever thought that was a good idea? 

Well....we made it over.  Andrew finds it very funny how frightened I got....and vowed to take a picture of me white knuckling the steering wheel on the way home.....However I learned from my mistake....I went home a different way!

Whew anyway....other then that one little episode the travel was uneventful.
I enjoyed dinner with the kids at UNO's-Andrew's choice.

Then we checked into the hotel and headed straight for the pool and hot tub.


Enjoyed the pretty snow...


Sophie was thrilled that we had cable and she got to watch the Disney channel until 10:00.


The hotel was GREAT!
Super price!  Very clean!  Right around the corner from Historic Williamsburg!


We started the day at the Capital...


Sophie liked seeing the American map with the colonies she's been memorizing for history class!



They both decided they liked the jail the best.


I found the Apothecary the most interesting!


We had lunch at The Kings Arm Tavern


Went to the Dress Shope....Sophie fell in love with this cape trimmed in white fox!
It was so pretty!


The kids had their fill and we headed home.


It was a quick trip.  It was educational.  It went along so well with our American History Study this year.  My favorite part was spending time with Andrew and Sophie.  It was so neat to see their relationship.  Our house is so full and there are so many relationships I hadn't realized how much theirs has grown over the years.  They are both really nice to each other.  They played chess on the computer and didn't argue and Andrew patiently taught Sophie strategy.  They were kind.  They were playful-throwing snowballs good naturedly at one another.  Andrew was helping Sophie learn how to do the breast stroke so she would not get disqualified while she swam.  Nobody faught over where to sit, or sleep, or eat, or what to do.  They were very considerate of each other. 
 It was cool!
I am surrounded with noise, mess, fussing, and needs, and my never ending to-do list and it was so neat to break away and observe, enjoy, and relax.


Great trip!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Williamsburg. It's one of my favorite places and I have some great childhood and adult memories there!
    It was probably the drawbridge over the James River. It's really pretty and not scary when it's not snowing!Glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim...so funny about the bridge because I also am TERRIFIED of driving over bridges. I literally get weak and feel paralyzed. AND, my other fear is driving in the snow...won't do it EVER. So you lived my worst nightmare. Glad u survived

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember taking my children to Williamsburg on a homeschool field trip many years ago. This brings back happy memories. I love Williamsburg and anything that has to do with colonial American history. So glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete