Friday, November 11, 2011

The Mother Load!

Do you ever get hit with the enormity of your assignment as a mom?  Most of us would readily agree that raising children is one of the hardest things to do and yet one of the most important.  I mean sometimes just making it through the day all in one piece is a major feat.  Not to mention preparing them to survive and thrive in the world.

It just takes one moment.  One careless turn of the steering wheel.  One weak moment around "the love of their lives."  Just one sip or just one puff.  One moment.  Lives changed.  Lives destroyed.  Just one moment.  And teenagers.....as brilliant as they are.....just lack the life experience necessary to realize how important their choices are and how long lasting the consequences of those choices can be.  What's a Mama to do? 

We want to do it all right.....so much is at stake.  We want "the formula".  We want the right answers.  And the crowds are filled with so many ready and waiting with the perfect way to parent and turn  out perfect kids.  So we buy books.  We listen to experts.  And the advice starts early....

Breast or Bottle.
Schedule or no schedule.
Cloth or Disposable

and that is just the beginning.....

The older they get the bigger the questions and the higher the stakes.  What if I don't do it right?  What if I mess up?

Guess what I'm learning?  I won't do it right.  I will mess up.  In fact I haven't done it right and I have messed up.....so. many. times. 

I lose it when they need me to be strong. I let things slide when they need to be dealt with. I dole out punishment when I should lavish grace. I yell when I've had all I can take....and they need an ear to listen. I rush when they need time.. I jump in to solve problems that they need to figure out. I step back and let them struggle when they need a helping hand. I pray for character to built into my children and then try to put out the fires that will burn away the dross and purify their hearts and build the very character I've been praying for.


BUT Here is some truth:

2 Corinthians 12:9
And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.

I just LOVE that verse!  Because if anything I am weak!  I also love it because it is truth.  I am quick to believe lies....I must stay in the truth= God's word.

The Lord is teaching me....and I am S-L-O-W-L-Y learning that he has a plan.  My friend spoke truth to me yesterday that I needed to hear.  We were sharing hearts for our kids and our struggles with our kids and she said, Yes-I am their mother.....but guess what.....HE is their Father!  I can not do it perfectly, but he can!  He is THE PERFECT PARENT.  He loves my children MORE than I do.....and that is a lot!  He has a plan.  HE HAS A PLAN!  Did you get that?  HE HAS A SPECIFIC PLAN FOR THEIR LIVES.....and he knew that from the foundation of the world.  So when I mess up....again AND when they mess up....AGAIN.....He can use it. I know for a fact that the junk allowed in my life and the tragedy and the sin I have chosen have been used to build more character then what I do right. 

He IS building character.  The things I long for my children to be....are being built....and most often it is through the fires of life.  The fire does not have to destroy.....it certainly can....but the fire can also burn off impurity....it can purify......and that is my prayer.  This is a season of fires in the Stewart household.  Sometimes it seems like their are issues everywhere I turn.  I pray that it is also a season of purification, not just for Randy and I but also for our children.  My constant prayer is beauty from the ashes......beauty from the ashes.....beauty from the ashes.  Thank you Lord for your faithfulness and for your plan and for being the parent I need and my kids need.

I love this verse:

1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Hope you have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment