Sunday, November 6, 2011

Carolina Princess

Let me just tell you.....this weekend was a whirlwind.  I have discovered 3 things this weekend.

1.  I am really glad we had this opportunity.....

2.  I am not a pageant person......

3.  Beauty is definitely more then skin deep.

Of course I'll elaborate :)

1.  This was a GREAT experience.  I enjoyed getting to know the Deans better.  Molly is a gem (and she got it from her sweet Mama)  This was such a growth opportunity for Sophie.  She got to be on stage.  She got to practice being poised when she is nervous.  She got a chance to perform.  She got to dress up.  She got a chance to spend LOTS of time with Nanny.  She got to feel special.  She got to feel pretty.  She got to be in the spotlight.  It was fun and it was good.  In the words of Molly she was brave and beautiful



2.  I am not cut out for pageantry.  It is a lot of driving.  It is a lot of rehearsals.  It is a lot of paperwork.  It could easily be a lot of money (although it doesn't have to be).  It takes a lot of time. I do see the benefits of pageantry for older girls.  Excellent scholarship opportunities.  Great way to develop stage presence.  Great way to develop public speaking.  Great way to network.  Especially great for those interested in the arts/performing.  However.....maybe it's just me but it is a little freaky seeing some of these little girls who have been groomed in pageantry.  YIKES....to me it is not even a little cute....but it is a lot scary!  So much focus on themselves and so much focus on appearance.  WOW!  I couldn't believe babies in tiara's with titles bigger than they were and with Mama's  tracking their community services hours...REALLY???? Don't get me wrong...I love a tiara as much as the next girl and think we should all wear them on a regular basis.....But the self focus is a little sickening.  Hmmmm.....anyway....it is just not my cup of tea  So big girls...go for it.....but Mama's please....what are you thinking...can we not just let them be little????

Anyway....I will now step off my soapbox.

3.  Beauty.  I saw some beautiful girls on Saturday.  Some of the girls were absolutely stunning by the worlds standards.....but oh my word.....some of the same "beautiful girls" I hate to say were downright UGLY.  Some were not.....some were beautiful inside and out.....(Molly and the girl who won 2nd runner up for the Miss.  I LOVED her) but wow.....when the pressure is on the heart is reveled.....and it was not always pretty.

Now.....let me tell you about one of the most beautiful girls there:

Her name is Meredith and she is truly a Carolina Princess.  She was not on stage and didn't have on a lick of makeup but boy did she shine.

Meredith is 10 years old.  She is one of Sophie's best friends "in the whole world."
I LOVE her.
If Linda (her mom) would let me...I would keep her!
Sophie wanted Meredith to come to the pageant.  Meredith wanted to come to the pageant.

I wasn't so sure if that was the best idea.
It was going to be late.  It was going to be long.  I was concerned that it may be hard for Meredith to see all the girls dressed up and getting hair;makeup/tiara's.....I mean what little girl doesn't want that?

So we tried to dissuade them....but they both insisted that they wanted to go together.  So beforehand I talked to Sophie about putting herself in the shoes of the little girl in the audience that may wish she got to be a "princess' for the night.

Sophie understood and agreed it would be hard.....I think she did a great job being sensitive to that....

But let me tell you about sweet Meredith.
She was Sophie's biggest cheerleader.  She is obviously a beautiful child on the outside

But she is even more beautiful on the inside.  She kept talking about how pretty Sophie looked.  She kept helping us get Sophie ready.  She cheered loudly for Sophie.  She thanked us for "letting her come."  She told Sophie how well she did.  She's 10 years old!!!!  She was so selfless and so encouraging and so gracious.  She is such a true princess.  She is a child of the King and her beauty-real and lasting- shone brightly.

I am so glad that Sophie has her as a friend.  It is said that you become like those you spend time with.  Well knowing this is true I pray these two will stay friends for lifetime because I LOVE this sweet child's heart.  Christ in her is evident.

True Beauties

"But let your adorning be be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
1 Peter 3:4

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Like you said, the experience of watching was fun, but definitely eye-opening as to the world of pageantry! Wow.

    ReplyDelete