Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bakin' and Makin'

Today started early.  It was sorta regular and sorta not regular.  I don't usually do a lot of baking during the week....but I did today.
I've been watching the bananas on my counter ripen over the last couple days and I really needed to use them before they were past the point of no return.
So....At 5:00 this morning I made Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.


The best part of baking....is the smell of vanilla.
YUM!  I love that smell!  If I'm ever caught sniffing anything it will probably be vanilla....or maybe Play-Doh...but I digress....

So.....this early morning baking started me thinking...
My Granny gave me her very first cookbook ever a few years ago

It was published in 1942.

Granny (my mom's mom) has been telling me all about a recipe for vanilla drop cookies.  She said her kids loved them and she really thought my kids would like them too.
So I have been eager to make them.....and early this morning I FINALLY did!
My favorite part of the cookbook is the little sticky notes she has stuck inside with notes in her handwriting. 
The cookies are very good. 
but the gift of her cookbook and the legacy and the notes they are the true treasure.
Love my Granny!

You can tell it is an old cookbook by the language used in the recipes.  It says to use "a hot oven".  What is that???  You can tell the most used pages because, like my favorite cookbooks they are worn and have spatters.  Such a treasure.

Vanilla Dropped Cookies
Flour, 3 cups
Baking powder, 3 teaspoons
Salt, 3/4 teaspoon
Shortening, 3/4 cup
Sugar, 1 1/4 cups
Eggs, well beaten, 2
Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
Milk, 2/3 cup

Sift flour; measure; add baking powder and salt; sift again.
Cream shortening, add sugar gradually and continue beating until light.  Add well-beaten eggs and blend thoroughly; add vanilla.
Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk; mix well.  Chill.
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 or 3 inches apart on a well-greased baking sheet.  Bake in a hot oven 8 to 10 minutes. 
Makes about 5 dozen, 2-inch cookies.

PS A hot oven is about 400 degrees :)


So....Then we had breakfast, chores, school...and after the younger kids finished school the girls wanted to make Japanese Lanterns.  We read a story today that talked about them.  So I found some pretty scrapbook paper and simple directions from the Internet and we had ourselves a good ole' time!

Measuring


Cutting!

So Cute

Now we have some fun Thanksgiving decorations


We had a long, full, day....but it was fun!

Love this fall weather too!  We got to play outside with the neighbors for a good while which was nice.  Michelle and I actually got to have a conversation!  Rare!

Now all this goofing off did make for a late dinner (around 6:30) AND a very late school day....The Boy didn't finish until 8:30 tonight!  Whew!

I'm ready for bed....and I'm thinking about turning off the alarm and sleeping in tomorrow!

Nite!








2 comments:

  1. I love those lanterns!! Could be super cute decorations for any party/holiday. I may have to get your girls to give me a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete