Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pondering Passages!

Whew!  What was Shay thinking?  This week was a doozy!  I must admit the first time I read over 1 John 1:1-4 I was like, "WHAT???"  I was COMPLETELY confused.  Granted....it often doesn't take much to confuse me....but this one was a real puzzle!

However....It did start to make sense.  There is something to this pondering.

First off....the verse was a toughy....but I FINALLY have it...(I think).

"That which was from the beginning.  Which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes.  Which we have looked at and our hands have touched.  This we proclaim concerning the word of life."
1 John 1:1
*I typed this without looking so it may not be word for word accurate*

What the heck does this mean?  I kept being reminded of John 1:1.  Thank you AWANAS!  The wording seemed very similar.  "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the Word was God."  So....I did know the Word was talking about Jesus. 

But what struck me...was how John (the writer) was so excited.  He was like: I heard him, I saw him, I touched him with my own hands.....this dude was really here and he was real.  Not only that....but he is LIFE. 

WOW!  My kind of guy.  I like facts.  I like first hand true information.  Not much for here say and rumors.  I like to KNOW.  John wrote this for people like me.  Doubters....I unfortunately would have been Thomas.  I would have wanted to see, touch, hear....then maybe I would believe.  I'm so glad that is okay with Christ.  He's okay with my questions.  They don't get on his nerves.  He shows us the scars in his hands.  I love proof! 

This guy was also majorly excited.  After all he had seen Jesus!  He was compelled to tell everyone.  He wanted people to have what he had:  A relationship with Jesus.  He couldn't even help himself.  He was "proclaiming" all this about Jesus. 

Hmmmm....
What am I excited about.....
What do I proclaim.......
Hmmm......

Believe me people....I love me some Jesus....but I seem to recall a post I wrote at the beginning of this year entitled I'm so excited.....and I'm embarrassed to admit....Jesus didn't make the short list :/ 
YIKES!

So what is the deal?  I know Jesus but I can't help but think I must not KNOW him enough.  If I did.....I can't help but think I'd be a bit more excited about him.
I'm just sayin.....this pondering passages thing is a bit convicting.....
So my prayer this week for myself chiefly but also for my fellow ponderers is that we will seek to KNOW Christ.  REALLY KNOW HIM.  Not just in the salvation sense....but in the relationship sense.  If we KNOW him like John knew him....I bet we, like John, would be so excited we couldn't help but proclaim this Jesus to the world.

Off to check out Shay's blog:
http://sreyner.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/pondering-the-passages-1-john-11-4/
A work in progress,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment