Monday, March 17, 2014

What's for Dinner? Day 4

I am a menu maker.  I plan dinners over the weekend for the week to come so that I don't have to run out to the store during the CrAzY busy week.  I don't plan breakfast or lunch anymore.  I did when the kids were little and I made it for everyone, but now they pretty much make their own.

I also really like dinner ideas and recipes because it is SO easy to get burned out and uncreative in my cooking.  So here is the Stewart's Dinner Plan for this week:

Sunday-Roast, Tossed Salad, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. (we have a potluck home fellowship so this is my offering and we will have lots of other yummies to choose from)

  • I do the roast in the crock pot and sprinkle on a tad of olive oil and salt and pepper and then sprinkle with Lipton Onion Soup dry mix.  I put the roast in slightly frozen which adds a little liquid to the roast as it cooks.  I cook it on low all day. 
  • The cookies are just following the recipe on the Quaker Oatmeal Box for Oatmeal Raisin cookies and changing the raisin part to chocolate chips!!!

Monday-Pan Seared Salmon with sauteed onions and Oven Baked Citrus Chicken Breast (most of my kids won't eat the Salmon)  served with brown rice and a dinner salad.

  • We marinate the Salmon and Chicken in OJ and coat the fillets and breast in salt and pepper.  When it is time to cook we put the chicken in the oven to bake and sear the salmon for about 3 minutes on each side in a little olive oil on the stove top.  It is delicious and quick!

Tuesday-Daddy out with Andrew for dinner (they have a meeting ref. Community College for Andrew in the fall)
               Sophie and I out (we have Girl Talk in Raleigh = FUN!!!)
              Jackson, Lydia, and Audrey dinner at Nanny's
              My KITCHEN is CLOSED!!!

Wednesday-Whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce served with garlic bread and YUMMY green beans from a recipe I adapted from my friend Christi.
  • I warm a splash of olive oil on a med. temperature on the stove and sprinkle mustard seeds into the oil.  I had never used mustard seeds when cooking and had these beans at Christi's house one evening and wow!  New favorite!  When the mustard seeds start to brown and pop (after only a few minutes) I put a bag of frozen french style green beans into the oil. I sprinkle the beans with crushed red pepper and salt and pepper.  You can use whatever seasoning you like.  These beans are so flavorful.  I could eat the whole bag.  I don't....but I could!

Thursday-Crock pot Italian Chicken served with stuffing and roasted vegetables (I will be eternally thankful for my dear friend, Julia, for MANY reasons one of which is.....teaching me how to make ROASTED VEGETABLES.....we eat them at least once a week!)

  • Thursday's are almost always crock pot days because we have co-op and I am too tired to even think of what to cook, much less cook when I get home.  The chicken is frozen chicken breasts in crockpot with Italian seasoning pkg. and a splash of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  I usually add a tad of water.  If I have onions or peppers I need to use I toss those in too.
  • The roasted vegetables are whatever veggies I have and need to use cut in to cubes or strips, coated with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.  My family particularly enjoys; broccoli, onion, sweet potatoes....but we've had carrots, squash, cauliflower, peppers, potatoes....and they are all good!  Then I roast them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes...sometimes less....just check when they first start to brown they are done.  Then I sprinkle with just a little more salt and pepper and Parmesan.  My kids devour these!

Friday-Breakfast for dinner: Scrambled Eggs and Bacon with fresh fruit hash browns and coffee cake!
  • Easy hit at our house.  The hash browns are frozen.  The coffee cake is a Martha White cinnamon strudel box mix.  Simple, quick, and easy works best here!

Saturday: Dinner Club dining at Elmo's on Ninth Street!  Kiddos will have pizza and a movie at home cause Friday is payday!  Woot Woot!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment