Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lessons Learned DAY 9

Today I ran in a race: The Freedom Run!  This is big news because I haven't run 3.2 miles in a long time. 



Lesson 1: When you go a long time without running....your lungs burn when you run.

The proceeds from the race go to a Durham non-profit that works at transforming the lives of adolescent victims of human trafficking.

My sister in law, Holly, and an organization she helped start, ACT for Justice, were one of the sponsors of the event. 



Lesson 2: Regular people can make a difference in the fight against human trafficking.

As I ran I had no idea how much longer I had to go.  They didn't have the distances marked and I hadn't been able to get my run keeper to work at the start of the race.  I hadn't run in so long I just didn't have a feel for the distance.  Yet I wanted to keep running.  I just didn't know how much longer I could keep going.  It was getting hard.  I wasn't going that fast.  I was tired.  Seeing the finish line helps!


Lesson 3: Racing is a bit like life.

I kept thinking of Sophie and Jackson as I ran.  I thought about their journey to read and how we didn't know how much longer we had.  They want to read.  It's hard.  It doesn't always go well.  They are exhausted.....You know what though.....they don't quit.  They aren't allowed to give up.  So I wouldn't either.  That kept me running to the end!  Ran. every. step!  Slow and steady!

Lesson 4: Stuff is sometimes a nice incentive to keep going!


I got a new T-shirt and a new bib for my racing door!



YIPPEE!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment