Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Kids and Christmas

I read a fantastic article about Christmas that has inspired this post.  It is on the Desiring God website and I posted it earlier this week on facebook.  I have also put a link to it at the bottom of this post.   I have pondered and mulled over it so much and to me it is the best explanation of Christmas and kids I have read.

For years I felt guilty for indulging in the material of Christmas.  I felt it wasn't very spiritual.
I also don't like little "Jesus is the reason for the season" slogans.I mean I have a plaque that says that very thing....and I believe it to be true.......but it's just cheesy.  There has to be more.  So....what is a Mama to do?  I want my kids to get it.....and I want it to be real.....and appealing....and not corny and canned and artificial...but authentic.....

As Christians we celebrate Christmas because it is when THE WORD became flesh!  In the words of one of my all time favorite teenagers....Oh my WOW!  HELLO?  Can I get an Amen?  The Word humbled himself and became flesh.  Really.  Now get this....He came and entered into our material.  He didn't stop it.  He didn't shame it. He entered into it.

So this Christmas as we enter into the material....what are our kids seeing?  Are they seeing Christ?  Are they seeing Christ alive in us?  Are they seeing a psycho mom?  Are we worried about the tree being perfect?...are we worried about the bows matching.....are we worried about the meal being perfect.....OR are they seeing their mom love them.....cook for them with joy.  Give them gifts out of love.  Laughing at the imperfections.....hugging their necks.....praising God for the blessing of THE Word.  Wondering at how this Savior could come to rescue a lost world....and not on a horse with a fleet of angles....but in a stinking barn as a baby....a baby....oh yes....a weak, needy, little baby.

Who is this Savior?

I pray he will be REAL and Wonderful during this magical season where in the words of the author...."the power of Christmas is when the spiritual and the material meet".  So glad Jesus wasn't afraid to enter into my mess.  So glad he wasn't too spiritual to become material.  I love Christmas..I love the food, the family, the presents, the break, the traditions, the shopping, the wrapping, the lights, the anticipation, and I LOVE me some Jesus....and now this year for the first time I have a better understanding of how the two can go hand in hand. 

Highly recommend this article:
Desiring God: Kids and Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment