Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cha-Cha-Change!

One of my favorite things about blogging is looking back at the record it leaves of my family and our lives.  So today I was thinking, during room time (which is pretty much the only time I can think....but that is another blog altogether), about how different this year has turned out than what I thought it would be.  So I thought I'd look back and read some of what I wrote last December.  It was so funny and eye opening and convicting.  One post opened up saying.....

"Change seems to be the theme of my life these days. I must be frank and tell you: I pretty much HATE change. I am very happy with stability, sameness, ordinary, uneventful, steady life....and yet my world is changing.....and changing on many fronts and in many unsettling ways. I honestly feel it all a bit (or more) disorienting."
So I can definitely say THAT is one thing that has not changed.....I still don't love change!
I then went on to list some of the changes I was concerned about.....
They included:
Our pastor leaving.  I actually wrote...."what if I don't like the new pastor."  Which I now find hilarious because I do like him!  I remember this being a big concern!
And I was concerned about
Our youth minister leaving.  I wrote....."what if the youth minister isn't mature enough?"  Well I'd say Shay passes that test!
another big concern was....
My Girl starting a new reading curriculum for kids with dyslexia.  I wrote, "what if she never learns how to read."  This made me think.....she has only been doing this program a year!  It seems like a lifetime.  I needed that encouragement.  One year ago Sophie was not reading AT ALL.  Now she can read a lot.....she can write a lot.  She is starting to follow along with her finger when I read books to her.  She is starting to look up books in the Bible.  She is starting to read things in her environment.  She is asking how to spell things.  She is reading short stories.  She has come sooooo far.  I can't believe that all happened in a year!  I was so discouraged about how far we have to go.....and now I am so encouraged because I didn't realize how far we had come in a year.  WOW!
I also had God's truth sprinkled throughout....which was refreshing to me today.  I needed some encouragement.  His truth does not change and I like that!

TRUTH!
Psalm 25:3
"No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame"

TRUTH
Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

TRUTH
Praise God that HE NEVER CHANGES (Hebrews 13:8) He is the same yesterday, today, and forever! I need some sameness (and saneness :)
AND HE CAN MAKE ALL THINGS NEW!
Finally-As I reflected on all this and realized how consumed I was with these issues last year.....and how much they ended up being non-issues (well except the reading one :) and then I was reminded in my anxious heart that God is in control!  He KNOWS Randy doesn't have a job.  He KNOWS we have 5 kids.  He KNOWS my heart desire to stay home with them.  I do not need to worry.  He took care of the things I was concerned about last year.  He will take care of the things I am concerned about this year too.  He has a plan.  It is not mine.  I can't wait to see what it is.  I'm sure it will look different then mine.  One year ago I didn't know Randy would have been out of work for going on 5 months....I didn't know my extended family would be dealing with a lot of the issues we are dealing with.....but God did know and he is enough.  Without anything else....if nothing changes....or if EVERYTHING changes (gulp!).......he IS enough!
Thankful that he is sufficient!


1 comment:

  1. He is sufficient. He's proved it over and over. May I have faith to believe the Truth!
    So happy to hear of Sophie's progress!
    Love you sweet one!

    ReplyDelete