Monday, December 5, 2011

The Children's Musical

Last night was our churches Children's Christmas Musical  It was also the first time The Girl, aged 8, has EVER spoken on stage.  The girl loves people.  Has lots of friends.  Is becoming quite silly and playful amongst her friends....but being in front of a crowd is not her cup of tea.


Last spring at the children's musical Mr. Al tried to give her a few lines, and she flatly refused.  So I was SHOCKED when she told me earlier this year that she might want a part in the children's musical.  Well I was even MORE shocked when she actually came home with 2 lines!  She worked so hard to make sure she knew her 2 little lines (rote memorization is not easy for children with dyslexia....and speaking in front of a group is not easy for shy children.....especially shy children with a speech and language processing disorder...)....so I was REALLY proud of her.

Then......I almost fainted when I heard she had a solo (it was 1 sentence.....but still!)  I was tucking her into bed about 2 weeks ago and we were going over her 2 little lines for the play and she busted out crying.  I mean SOBBING.....HUGE TEARS.......I was like, "what is wrong?!!?" she said....."Mr. Al gave me a solo and I don't want to sing." and I hugged her and she cried and cried.

What is a Mama to do?

When the tears dried.....for both of us.....I said, "Well honey you have a choice,  you can sing the solo or you can tell Mr. Al that you do not want to sing the solo."  At this point the tears ended and the wailing and gnashing of teeth began....she wanted me to tell Mr. Al.  I so wanted to be like..."okay" and fix everything and take away her fear.  However....I knew God could use this to grow her IF I would stay out of the way.  She could voice her fears and make a choice and speak for herself OR she could face her fear and live through it and become more confident.  I decided even though every fiber in my being wanted to rescue her that I was going to love her, support her, cheer her on no matter what she chose BUT she was going to choose and she was going to deal with it one way or the other.

She was not happy with me.....

But I stood firm.....I almost didn't.....but I did

and oh my word.....as she stepped forward last night and sang not only her solo....but the one before hers as well (that child didn't know they had a solo so last minute so Al asked The Girl to do both and she happily agreed?!)  As she sang I cried!  I was so proud.  I doubt anyone could hear her.....she is so quiet....but she sang every word. 



She was so proud of herself too.  I love to see my children face their fears and not be controlled by them.  She looked petrified....but she did it!  LOVE MY GIRL!

While I am having this major emotional moment watching my oldest daughter on stage I look over at my other children and find my youngest has taken off her shoes and is literally sucking her toe on the front pew of the church....

YUMMY!
I won't even tell you what she did to Pastor Marc after the show!

ANYWAY


All the kids did fantastic....there were AMAZING singers, PRECIOUS dancers, GREAT personalities, FANTASTIC actors....some of these children definitely have a future on stage......and there was a little girl....quiet as a mouse.....building her courage......and nobody will remember her performance and she will not likely spend much time on a stage.....but I am grateful for Mr. Al.  I am thankful he let my daughter have a part and encouraged her and didn't care so much about the product as he did about process and what he was building into these children's lives. 

Thank You Al!

I am just praising the Lord today that he is always busy growing us, stretching us, and molding us.
So thankful for his work in my Girl.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you and sweet Sophie! You are one wise mama! Loved that we could be there to see Sophie. CGS had their Christmas cantata, but there was no choice. We wouldn't have missed it! Proud of you gals and love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know, I noticed Sophie and she did an awesome job--so proud of her!!

    ReplyDelete