Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Rabbi, Sweet Linda, and The Lesson

Well if you read my blog with any regularity you may think that I am a stalker of Shay....I'm not!  You may think I am a fan of Shay....I'm not...well, okay, maybe I am.....but the truth is the most influential influence and biggest encouragement in my spiritual growth throughout the years has been Shay, with perhaps the exception of "Sweet Linda."

AND GUESS WHAT?????

TODAY IS HIS BIRTHDAY!  SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAY! 



Shay aka around our house as "The Rabbi" has truly been that to so many.  He is a GREAT teacher of the Bible.  I love when he teaches at church, or in small groups, or through his Ponderings.  I also LOVE that he is THE BOYS Sunday School Teacher AND The Youth Guru. Talk about generational influence!  He is having that in my family!  He not only has been a Rabbi to Randy and I but now he is being a Rabbi to our children. Love, love, love, love, love that!

I can not talk about Shay without talking about Linda.  I know it's Shay's birthday but what is Shay without Linda?  What a wise choice he made in snagging Linda.  She is a quiet, SWEET, gentle, consistent, disciplined woman of God.  She quietly and faithfully pours her life into others whether they are her precious children, women at church, or kids at school.  One night we were getting ready to have the Reyner's over for dinner and TWINKIE BOY was so excited and asked for like the 100th time, "Who is coming over today?"  I asked him, "Who do you think?"  He yelled, "CRAZY Shay and SWEET Linda!"  Yes Shay is awesome....but so is SWEET Linda!

Anyway.....it is Shay's birthday.....so back to Shay.  He has also taught me lessons that have really stuck and helped transform my life in a daily way.  Very rarely do lessons make such an impact that they become so internalized that they change the way you live your life.  Shay has taught me to INVEST in what matters (eternity and people) and he has taught me to be INTENTIONAL in the way I live.  Not only has he taught this with his words but he has taught it with his life.  He and "Sweet Linda" not only preach missions and take youth on fun mission trips they are sending their own precious children unto the "ends of the earth."  WOW!  They not only say INVEST....but they do INVEST!  In big ways and in little ways which can make a big difference.  As an example when they had a chance to go have yogurt as a couple alone, with peace and quiet, they spur of the moment stopped by our house and INVESTED Time and Money and took my 5, not peaceful and not quiet children, so Randy and I could have a few quiet moments!  Who does that?  Shay and Linda!  Who hears about your child's salvation and shows up at your door just to celebrate?  Shay and Linda!  This is not a one time event....it is the tone of their lives!  This is how they have been for at least the last 18 years that I have known them.  Not just when I was "mom to 5" and walking closely with the Lord.  This is how they were when I was 18, smoking cigarettes, and NOT walking with the Lord.  This is how they were when I was 24 and just beginning to walk daily with the Lord.  This is how they are today.  How can you not love them? 

This is just a snippet of the reasons I love Shay (and Linda).  They are THE BEST....They are THE REAL deal......they point to Christ.......and they are investing in eternity with an intentionalness that is absolutely contagious.  I want to know Christ more when I am around them.

So Happy Birthday Shay.  How is he spending his birthday?  Serving Durham with a bunch of middle school kids.  That is Shay!  I am eternally grateful that the Lord brought him to RBC and that I have had the privilege of knowing him, sweet Linda, and their precious kiddos.  I am eternally grateful for the influence they have had in my life and in Randy's life, and now in my kids lives.

THANKS SHAY AND I HOPE YOU HAVE MANY MANY MANY MORE YEARS TO INFLUENCE FOR ETERNITY!!!!

Love,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Humbled . You made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to have a blog and brag on those who really deserve it!? What a privilege it is to serve a God who allows us to share our lives with others who love generously with the love Christ gives, and inspires us to do the same!

    ReplyDelete