Saturday, June 11, 2011

An Oil Change with a Side of Grace

So at 7:00 this morning I was sitting with 2 other ladies at Tire King waiting for an oil change.  I was halfway watching CNN which was playing on the TV and halfway flipping through a magazine.  I noticed a  young, black, man come in and sit right beside me and we briefly acknowledged one another and then he proceeded to work on some sort of writing while I proceeded to clean out my wallet and continue to half listen to the news.

Just moments before the car mechanic called my name to let me know I was good to go a story that has dominated the news this week on the Congressman Weiner came on and the news reporter was interviewing people on the streets about whether he should resign.  Everyone was giving their opinion and many were labeling Weiner as a "pervert" and the like.

I was silently thinking....yeah he is a pervert....when this young, black, man to whom I had not spoken turned to me and said.  "It is so easy to judge people when we ourselves are doing the same things and just haven't been caught."  I was rebuked.  Kindly, without him even knowing, he spoke a TRUTH I needed to hear.
Oh....I am quick to judge.  Ugly, Ugly, Ugly sin.....This person next to me....who couldn't be more different....I am a girl....he was a boy.  I am white....he was black......I am not as young as I once was....and he was young....and yet we both found GRACE so attractive....so appealing.....so desirable.  This young man reminded me early this morning that I am not called to judge.  I can however freely and abundantly lavish people with unexpected, unmerited, undeserved....GRACE.

Thank you Jesus for pouring your grace on me!  I too am "perverted".  I too am judgemental.  I am such a sinner.  So quick to see the sins of other....yet so hungry for your grace.  Never have I enjoyed having my oil changed as much as at 7:00 on a Saturday!  What a blessing!

Kim

2 comments: