Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Playing Hookie!

So I must make a true confession.  My 4 youngest kids are in VBS at our church this week from 9-12, MY BOY is at Drama Camp all week from 9-4, My man is at work, and my dog is "in season" and spending the week at Golden Creek Kennel....and me....I am ALONE and LOVING it!

I am an introvert.  I am constantly around people which drains me.  So this time alone each morning has been a welcome refreshment to my mind, body, and soul.

Being as I homeschool and before that adventure began I was a stay at home mom I have not in the last 13 years been without a child for an entire week for 3 consecutive hours each day....ever!  This is new territory.  This is a new experience.  This is strange!

I've always been helping with VBS or staying with children too young for VBS.  When I realized that all 4 of my little ones were VBS eligible and that my oldest was going to be at a homeschool drama camp all day I began to toy with the idea of not signing up to help.  However, I prayed that if the Lord wanted me to help then I would be specifically asked and if he wanted me to have a break that I wouldn't be asked.  Nobody asked.....WOW!  So not only am I not helping out.....I'm not helping out AND guilt free!  That my friend is a good place to be!

So what am I doing all week:
Well Monday-I cleaned in peace!
and Today-I shopped all morning.  That is another thing I NEVER do!  I wasn't shopping for me....I was buying homeschool curriculum, and a special outfit for THE GIRL, who was invited by Miss Molly Deans to go to Miss NC Pageant tonight!!!!!  I was buying a baby gift for my aunt and Bibles for my little ones, and a few household items.  It was peaceful....and fun!
Tomorrow-I plan to lay at the pool and read.....alone.....for 3 hours!
Thursday and Friday are yet to be determined!

By the end of this week I will be rotten!

I'm glad this isn't my life.  I actually love sharing my life with my kids.  I love spending our days together.  I love helping out and serving at church.....BUT I must say.....I'm loving this little break too.

I have noticed more then anything how LOUD my kids and dog and house are.  My ears are literally ringing from the quiet. 

I've often heard about how kids grow up in the blink of an eye.....and they do.....with THE BOY 1 year from HIGH SCHOOL.....I can assure you it has been a blink.....HOWEVER.....with a herd of preschoolers I can also identify with the harried mother in the aisle of the supermarket screaming "I'M BLINKING!"  One of my favorite quotes that for years was posted on my refrigerator said,
"The days go slow but the years go fast!" 
So much truth in that statement!
AHHHH.....
In closing I say a HUGE Thank You to all you Mamas, and Grandmas, and Teenagers, and Ladies, and Ministers, and Seminary Guys who are serving in VBS in my place.  I can tell you one thing; This is one VERY THANKFUL Mama!  May the Lord heap blessings upon you.  I have been blessed by your sacrifice!

Love,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. I wondered where your crew was this morning...but I decided not to ask! So glad you are getting some time for quiet and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy this refreshment Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete