Saturday, July 9, 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog That is the Question....

I like blogging a lot.  I enjoy writing.  I enjoy venting.  I enjoy the chance to express.  I LOVE documenting our families lives complete with pictures. 

However lately I have had several concerns related to blogging.....

First....I've been thinking that blogging shows a snapshot of my life and I am concerned that people will think the snapshot is the reality.  Not only does it show a snapshot....it shows the snapshot that I choose to show.  I tend to blog about the highlights of my family.  The celebrations.  The deep thoughts.  The events......and I'm aware that people who read my blog may think that is what our life is....a highlight, a cebration, a series of deep thoughts, an event filled existance.....and it's not! I mean it is...sometimes....but not all the time. It is also filled with whining, fussing, chores, messes, mistakes, and the mundane.....and I just don't want to portray to people something that isn't real.

Second.....I think blogging can give people, like me, a sense of intamacy and relationship.  I read other peoples blogs and I kind of "know" what is going on with them, or to at least feel like I know.  So it makes it easy to not communicate with people.  It makes it easy to avoid people.  It is easy to feel a connection without actually having to connect.  Which is comfortable for me.  So I am trying to make an effort to get out of my comfort zone and talk to people and initiate conversations and seek relationship. 

So I want to blog........but I want relationship more.  Blogging is comfortable.  Blogging is easy.  Blogging records thoughts, photos, events, celebrations....and I like that.  Relationships are complecated.  They take time and investment.  Relationships are risky. 

So...I'm going to Blog....and I'm going to relate....and I am going to try to keep the two separate!

2 comments:

  1. Great perspective, Kim. I too like to blog, but I find it hard to even share them with strangers. Sometimes, they are my way of coping with whatever is happening in my life at the moment,and so they may tend to believe this all there is to me. I like one-on-one relationships to enable me to get to know people, or at least make an attempt to know them. Anyway, I enjoy your blogs, and if anyone in the right mind thinks that being a mom of 5 is always pleasant have their heads in the sand. :) Good job as a blogger and a mom and wife whose life is Christ-centered.

    ReplyDelete