Monday, July 25, 2011

"Don't Pin Your Life on Living"

"Don't Pin Your Life on Living!" Just this morning I read that quote from a woman dying from cancer.  Wow!  That is powerful.  I am very fascinated with the words and advice of dying people, especially godly people who are dying.  I know that is probably a little creepy....but I think they speak truth, wisdom, and give a unique perspective on life.

When life is slipping away...what is going to matter?  Stuff I've collected?  My health?  The way I look?  The state of my house?  The job I have?  My accomplishments?  People?  My relationship to a holy God?

The list gets mighty short.  Don't get me wrong.  How we live does certainly matter.....to a degree....but what is the focus....what REALLY matters?

When I start to unpack this statement the first thing I wonder is WHY?  Why not pin my life on living?  I've got one shot....I should live life to the fullest.  Well the obvious answer is because I'm not going to live.  Life on earth is fleeting. It is a vapor.  It is here today and gone tomorrow.  Even a long life on earth is but a moment in eternity.

So what is worth pinning my life on?  What matters? Something that will last.....something that is sure and does not disappear.  Something that matters.

Only Christ.  He was here....He is here.....He will be there.  Eternity matters.  This life is just a breath-just a moment-going......going....gone!

So how does that change how I live?
Am I going to live for eternity?
I'm just sayin?

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Exactly! This has been a topic of conversation around here a lot lately because we do highly value being healthy and want to do our best to take care of our bodies and our kids' bodies, but if we have great health and don't have the Lord, we have nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kim. Love you sweet one!

    ReplyDelete