Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What's Cooking?

Let me tell you what's up......I have been a crazy cooking maniac the last few days......I cook a lot anyway just keeping this crew fed....but we had lots to cook for this weekend.

Now don't get me wrong....I totally brought this on myself....and I did enjoy it....but whew!  I also enjoyed NOT cooking last night and going out with my Mama for dinner and movie while Randy did dinner with the kids!  We went to California Pizza (BBQ Chicken Salad=totally yummy) and saw THE VOW best movie I've seen since THE HELP.....well actually only movie I've seen since THE HELP....but still you get the point....really good.  Loved getting a chance to hang out and talk to mama in peace!  Such a treat!

ANYWAY

I thought I'd share a few recipes from my cooking frenzy:

Saturday I made my favorite baked beans, for the teenage boys that invaded....they are simple....and they are GOOD!  I got this recipe from my Granny's church cookbook years ago.

1 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 lb. Ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 T. Salt
2 cans (16 oz) pork n' beans.

Brown beef, onion, and green pepper.  Mix beans, ketchup and everything else...Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. 

Saturday night I made Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers....what an experience....I almost went into encephalitic shock!  I got all teary, and my throat started tightening, my skin and hair started itching.....whew!  So I ended up not being a fan.....but Randy really liked them!

This was a new recipe I got off Food.com
25 jalapeno peppers
16 oz. cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 16 oz. packages of bacon.

Cut stems of peppers and then cut them in half longways.  Remove seeds from peppers.  Fill with cream cheese and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Wrap each in 1/2 slice bacon and secure with toothpick.  Place on a baking sheet.  Cook in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.  (Mine took about 30 minutes.....to cook the bacon.)  Cool.  Serve.  Enjoy. 

I also made chocolate chip cookie bars using the recipe on the back of the Nestle Chocolate Chips....and I was out of sugar so I used Splenda....and I must say.....YUCK!  It changed the whole texture....so I wouldn't recommend making that substitution!  It's the first time I tried it....and the last time :)

Sunday we had a baby shower for my friend Kelly.  I made Ham and Cheese Poppy Seed Sandwiches.  They are so good.  Classic!  Thought you might like to add the recipe to your collection.  My mom always made these for parties....I'm not sure where she got the recipe originally....I would guess Southern Living.




  • 2 packages 7 1/2 oz each) small party rolls
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seed
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 ounces ham (I use lunch meat)
  • 6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese


  • Melt butter; add mustard, poppy seed, onion, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat until onions are transparent.
    Without separating rolls, slice party rolls horizontally. Spread both sides evenly with butter mixture. Fill evenly with ham and cheese. Wrap each package in tightly in foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake at 375 ° for about 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
    Serves 8 to 10.


    I also found out Saturday afternoon that I was supposed to bring snack for Andrew's Sunday School Class....AGH!  I didn't have anything planned....so they got leftover cupcakes (box mix) and cookie cake (from Cookie Time) from Andrew's party....Sorry guys!  I'll try better next time.

    Then we had our co-op meeting Sunday afternoon and I had signed up to bring chips and dip so I brought Phyllis Deans YUMMY dip.  It was sooooo good.  Randy and I polished off the leftovers Sunday Night!

    I don't want to give her recipe out without asking her.....but if you want it you should ask her cause it is really good!

    Tonight we are having Rigatoni.  My kids all love it which is a miracle in and of itself and it is simple!
    1 pkg. rigatoni noodles
    1 lb. ground beef browned.
    1/2 pkg. peperoni's
    1 container of favorite prepared spaghetti sauce
    Mix it all together.
    Put it in a 9 x 13 dish
    Sprinkle with Mozzarella Cheese
    Bake until warm and cheese is melted.
    Serve!  YEAH!  Dinner is done!  And if you add a simple salad and fix a box mix of brownies and warm up frozen bread sticks your husband will think you are gourmet :)

    So hope you enjoy the recipes!

    Happy Cooking!
    Kim





    1 comment:

    1. My mom always made those ham sandwiches (Ham Delights, we call them) for special parties too and I love them!

      My contacts are bothering me a little bit and when I read about the dip you made I thought it said Paula Dean and I was wondering why you'd need to ask her...and how you got in touch with her:) Ha. I'm guessing Phyllis Dean is a bit less popular, but still a good cook!

      ReplyDelete