Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pickin' Strawberries....and on little kids!

So tonight after dinner we went to pick strawberries.....I will refrain from saying where....because....well you'll see.....

We had so much fun! 


We picked so many berries!

We enjoyed our time together!


The kids were so happy and well-behaved.


Then we went to have our buckets weighed and pay for our strawberries.....and a lady, whom I had never seen before in my life, but am assuming was the owner approached us and started YELLING at my kids, specifically THE GIRL....


(I actually have a picture of the lady yelling at them.....but it probably would not be very nice to post it here.....ohhh....but I so want to post it.  No I didn't take a picture during her tirade.....I was taking pictures and she walked up and began yelling right as I took the photo)


GRRRRRR..................
She was saying something about "do not jump over rows...you can ruin the plants.....don't throw strawberries...."
I have no IDEA what she was talking about.....
THE GIRL'S eyes welled up with tears and she just stood there....as did the other kids.  It was surreal.


Randy and I were speechless.....
I stood right beside the kids the entire time.  I did not notice this hullabaloo....BUT....I do tend to focus at times and not notice gorillas running through basketball games.....so I'm not saying it didn't happen....I just was shocked.

So when the lady left.....I asked the girl what the lady was talking about.....she said she did step over the row one time but then she said we told her not to do so and so she didn't do it again.  As for throwing strawberries....she said they all threw the rotten ones they accidentally picked and the tops from the ones they ate but not any fresh ones.

So I guess I know what she was talking about.....but really......I don't think their behavior merited that reaction.


HMMMMM......I don't think I should say what I felt like saying to this woman......and I am glad that I chose to not say anything......but GRRRR.....I must say I doubt I will ever go back and I have picked berries there 12 of the last 13 years of my life. 


I am sure she deals with a lot of kids and I am sure that children have ruined many a strawberry plant....but really....yelling at kids and their parents is probably not the best policy......If my kids were being unruly I can promise you I would not mind an adult speaking to them about their behavior....I can also promise you that I would do it myself if I saw what was going on......but to see a single incident and then SCREAM at little kids.....that just makes a Mama Bear Mad! 

So......I guess this is just another opportunity for me to extend grace.  I want to yell at her and tell her how she hurt my tenderhearted daughter and how she has no clue what she is talking about....

But Why?  What good would come of it?  Who knows what is happening in her life.  So although she definitely put a damper on the evening and certainly lost a loyal customer it did give us an opportunity to learn.  We learned how to treat people.  How to respond when mistreated.  How to be careful not to judge others on a snippet of their life because it sure isn't fun being on the receiving end. 

She's probably a really nice lady....who had a crummy day.....and just lost it.......

Oh well it was a fun night and we did have yummy homemade strawberry shortcake for desert


AND will have enough sweet strawberry jam to last all year!

Whew....thank you for letting me vent!  I do feel better now!

3 comments:

  1. This is our favorite event every year!

    I'm sorry there was such a sour berry in the evening...and I want to know which farm it was, because I don't want to go to a place where they yell at sweet little girls!

    Seriously, that's just awful. But you handle it with grace!

    You should post your jam recipe, I need a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What maturity you've displayed. Your children saw a sermon in action. Grace is a beautiful gift. Love you Sweetie, and glad everyone felt well enough to go strawberry picking. BTW there is a farm just off Miller Road that has strawberry picking and fresh vegetables. You can pick your own or buy them already picked! Let me know if you want to check it out. Would be a pleasure to go with you and your sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that would have made me so mad. I'm so impressed that you were able to bite your tongue - I'm not sure I would have been able to do it. But also encouraging to hear how you handled it, and even a lesson for me to learn through your situation (even though I wasn't even there!)

    ReplyDelete