Thursday, March 10, 2011

Things that Make you go Hmmmmmm

It's Thursday....so you know what that means: Pondering Passages with Shay.

This week we pondered Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ, I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

As I pondered this once again familiar passage I noticed several phrases  that confused me.
From the get go: "I have been crucified with Christ" seemed strange.  I know Christ was crucified for me and I know that my sin was nailed to the cross....but I don't think I knew that I was crucified with Christ....and I'm not sure I completely get what that means. 

So I started reading the verses around it....and there are all these verses about the law...and being justified by faith...not by observing the law. 

As I wrestled with this phrase several things became apparent. 
First off, Paul was not saying he was literally crucified with Christ....because he wasn't. 
However it is also equally apparent that Paul is identifying with Christ's death. 
Taking all this in context with the surrounding verses I think Paul is saying....When Christ was crucified....so was our bondage to the law.  We are not slaves to the law.  We are FREE because the price Jesus paid!  In a sense I think Paul was dying to himself, his sinfulness, and to the law. 

"I no longer live but Christ lives in me"
This to me reinforces the earlier idea of Paul saying "I've died to myself" so....it's as if he is saying, "now it's not about me....it is all about Christ."

 "the life I live in the body"  just clarifies that he is still literally alive.
"I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
To this I say...
Do I live out this kind of faith?
 Do I walk around in my flesh and live with my faith firmly planted in my Savior?
Or is my faith in circumstances, other people, familiar surroundings, financial security, health....where is my faith?
Hmmm....
"who loved me and gave himself for me."
I can honestly say he is the only person who has ever died for me.  He is the only person who loved me so much he gave himself up to a shameful, disgraceful, embarrassing, humiliating death....for me. 

Yes my Mama might die for me....Randy might die for me.....but Jesus DID die for me.  AMAZING LOVE. 

Wow!

So where does that leave me?  What do I have in my life that needs to be crucified?   In whom is my faith....or should I say in what is my faith? What is too much of a sacrifice for this God and Savior who died for me?  Who lives in me?  Christ or my own selfish desires?
Hmmmmm.....
Unfortunately some of these questions don't require much pondering on my part!  I have so much of self in me I make my own self sick! I can't imagine how it must make a perfect, holy, always good God feel who doesn't just love me....but gave his own Son for me.  I did NOTHING to earn this love.  I did NOTHING to deserve this love.  I can do NOTHING to lose this love.  Who is this Savior?  Ohhhh I long to KNOW him!

Love spending time in the word.  Good stuff!
Kim
I would love to hear others thoughts as well.  I am just a ponderer.  I DON"T know all this stuff....I'm just learning and I hope I'm not too far off base.  Please don't take my word as TRUTH (I am so not a professional) please PONDER for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Always fun to read about your pondering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the biggest point of everything you said is "now what?" I love those moments when spiritual truth is so clear, but actually acting on what I learn is where I get stuck.

    ReplyDelete