Friday, March 25, 2011

Pondering Passages

Ephesians 1:15-23
“For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,  which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.”

This passage was difficult for me to understand.  I finally understood it better after I read it in The Message (which I think is a paraphrase.....but maybe it's a translation?)  First I'll put the passage in words that I understand.....

This is Paul writing a letter to the Ephesian church and he is telling them how thankful he is that they have a solid trust in Christ and that they are demonstrating their love for other Christians.  He tells them he is praying for them.  He goes on to tell them specifically how he is praying:
1. He thanks God for them....every time he prays.
BUT he does more then thank
2.  He asks God for them:  to KNOW him, to SEE what he is calling them to do, and to GRASP this life he has for his followers.  I sure would like to have someone praying for me like that!

Then it's like Paul is overwhelmed with Jesus....he is excited....he is giddy.....he is IN LOVE with Christ.  He starts spouting off about Christ's attributes: his endless energy, his boundless strength, the unbelievable way he works in us.  He talks about Christs power and his rule.   Paul is a bit ENTHUSIASTIC.

THEN....
Paul seems to randomly leap from prayers for the believers to awesomeness of Christ to the Church?
Paul points out something I had never thought of....the church is NOT a side note to the world.....the world is a side note to the church.  Christ is about his CHURCH. 

So.....what does this teach me???  A LOT!
It teaches me to be thankful for the saints.  I am surrounded by saints and it is a blessing.  I am not nearly grateful enough for these precious beams of light God has surrounded me with.  I also need to take seriously the responsibility to not only thank God for these saints but to pray that they will KNOW Christ better, SEE what Christ is calling them to do, and GRASP the life he has for his followers.
That is the cry of my heart.....I do want to KNOW HIM, I do want to SEE his plan for me, and I want to GRASP the life he has for me.

You can see how Paul KNOWS Christ....he's like a middle school girl with Justin Bieber....IN LOVE!
He can't stop talking about him.....he's excited......in the word's of Randy....."he's a God Stalker".
The only way to catch that "fever" is to study Christ.....watch him.....listen to him.....become immersed in him.  It is easy to see Paul was....and easy to see I am not!

FINALLY....
When you know someone....you know what they love.  Christ loves His Church.  So Paul in what may seem a random fashion moves from Christ to his Church.  However it really isn't so random.  Paul KNOWS Christ and so he KNOWS Christ's heart is the church.  The church is so essential to Christ it is called "his body".  In scripture we are told "he gave himself up for the church".  The church is a BIG DEAL to Christ.  No I don't think he is talking about RBC per se....or a building campaign.....or our worship music preference or our programs.....but rather the universal church.  The body of believers.  Why is this so important?  Why is this everything? 
Well the question I feel Christ is posing to me is this:
How else will people KNOW me?
You are the body?  Why aren't your hands moving?
In the words of my second favorite Rabbi...."I'm just saying"
So convicting.....and yes I do LONG TO KNOW HIM.
Kim

2 comments:

  1. So Kim, what am I to make of the fact that you posted your comments? Are you secretly wanting to speak in church on Sunday. Br ready cause you never know. I'm just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Shay....I posted my comments on MY blog....NOT YOURS!

    ReplyDelete