Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cleaning Up and Inside and Out!

So.....Today I have been CLEANING out.  Our Sunday School Class is trying to raise money for a Toy Drive to help provide toys for needy children and so I started cleaning to look for stuff to donate.  I purged the entire school room and even re-arranged it was fun.  I found all sorts of things I had forgotten about.

I sorted the books........

I cleaned out the files...rearranged the furniture

and now I have an empty corner.....so I ordered new verticle workboxes....and I am soooooo excited!

While I worked inside THE BOY and MY MAN cut the grass!
Thanks guys!!!!

As I cleaned of course I pondered life.  I'm WAY too in my head and think about and analyze EvErYtHiNg!  So I have been pondering a parenting issue lately and today I had an epiphany.  It was actually very freeing and very exciting.  So I'm going to share it :)

I am often disappointed when my children sin.  I think this is probably normal but in the past I've been overwhelmed with making sure I KNOW what my kids are reading, watching, talking about, looking at, doing....etc.  and when any of these things don't meet my standards I get upset and dole out punishment and wonder where I went wrong.

 I do think it is important to be plugged in and I do think it is important to keep close watch over your "flock" HOWEVER......me "catching" my kids in their sin doesn't need to be my focus.  I pray I do catch them.  I pray I am plugged in but catching is not the issue. 

Behavior modification has also been a focus for me.  When I see misbehavior I want it modified......... IMMEDIATELY!!!!  People often comment on how patient I must be to have so many children.  HA!  The jokes on me. I am NOT patient....but I can assure you the Lord is using these children to develop a patience in me :)

ANYWAY

I want my children to obey.  Which is important.  Very important but again....I think there is something even more important then behaving.   This was my epiphany:  My sinful little children need EXACTLY what their sinful Mama needs: JESUS!  The closer I am in my relationship to Christ the less a hold sin has on me.  I think the same is true for my children.  Especially as they get older and have their own relationships with Christ.  I don't need to CHANGE my kids I need to bring my kids to Christ and let HIM change them. 

I need to pray, correct, love, model, administer discipline, lavish them with grace, love them, enjoy them....but most of all I need to show them Jesus.  I need to pray they want to know him.  I need to pray not only for their salvation but for their love of Christ to GROW.  This is going to change their hearts and that is what needs to be changed. 

So....this is probably rambly and way too random....but it was exciting to me :)


Hope you all are enjoying this BEAUTIFUL Day!!!!
Kim

3 comments:

  1. Kim, I just love your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your epiphany.... I need to remember this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post...exactly what God keeps pointing me to as the answer to many of my frustrations....be close to Him myself and show Jesus! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kim. You are such a good mama! Can't go wrong getting closer to Jesus! Love you sweet one!

    ReplyDelete