Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Race!



Today I ran in the 20th Annual Angels Among Us 5K.
I ran with Nina's "We Hope You Dance" Team.
The money raised from the race goes to The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke.





This race is the reason I started running.  It is almost the reason I stopped running too.

When I agreed to run this race back in December....I remember thinking....What on earth have I done?  There is absolutely NO WAY I can run a 5K.
No way.
I remember vividly standing on the elliptical machine doing my workout one afternoon rehearsing reasons to tell Renea that I had changed my mind.
I really thought hard about quitting.

But I didn't quit.
I am so glad that I persevered. Today I ran the 5K.  I not only ran it and finished but I also KILLED my personal best time.
I ran 3.1 miles in 30:34.
 I didn't know I could run that fast!  Previously I had run it in 34:something.

YIPPEE!

Unfortunately I couldn't stay and hang out afterwards: the kids had swim lessons and I had to pick Andrew up from his D-Now weekend and we had a death in the extended family and so the day is full....but even though I didn't get to celebrate with my team I am proud of each one of them.  

This was hard work and a major accomplishment for MANY of these women!  I am so proud of each and every person that works hard to take better care of themselves!  
It is HARD work!!!

YEAH!!!!
I did get a few pictures:

My cheering section was there!



Thankful for my fans :) It was cold and early but they were there with smiles on!

Thank you!

My biggest fan Randy had a previous commitment.  He hated not being there but he texted me encouragement and insisted I call him as soon as I was done.  He's a fan too!

Now....
The training continues....I'm thinking I may do a 5K color run in June and I am doing 10K in September. 

Just keep swimming!
Kim

2 comments: