Saturday, December 15, 2012

If you were Gone....

If you were gone I'd miss you.

I would miss the way your eyelashes rest on your cheek when you finally drift off to sleep.
I'd miss singing "Hush Little Baby and You are my Sunshine" every single night.
I would miss how your laugh erupts into peels of joy and everyone around can't help but laugh along.
I would miss the weight of your body as you lean heavy on my shoulder.
I would miss your voice.  I'd miss hearing you rant about politics.  I'd miss your play-by-play of every sporting event.  I'd miss watching You Tube videos with you.

I would miss the slamming doors.  The piles of laundry.  The clatter of dishes.  The mess in the bathroom. The bikes in the yard.  The fingerprints on the wall. The Spills.  The Smudges.  The Stains.  The toys strewn all over the house.

I'd miss your friends.
I'd miss your text messages.
I'd miss you skyping me from the next room.

I would miss your tears.   Your hand pressed into mine.  I'd miss the tangles in your hair.  I'd miss the books I read you.  The shows we watch.  I'd miss driving you to practice.  I'd miss listening to your music.  I'd miss cheering at your games.  I'd miss listening to you perform.  I'd miss watching your recitals.  I'd miss flossing your teeth.  Inspecting your room. Tucking you in.  I'd miss Good morning hugs and goodnight kisses.  High fives.  Thumbs up.  I'd miss reading your papers.  I'd miss your art.  I would miss Candy Land.  Cookie Bars.  Doctor appointments.  Speech.  The Orthodontist.  The dentist.  Co-op.  I'd miss checking your Math. 

I'd miss your fighting and fussing.  I'd miss your whining.  I'd miss you tattling.  I'd miss figuring out whose turn it is to sit up front, take out the trash, feed the dog.  I'd miss reminding you to make your bed, put your dishes in the sink, buckle up, say please and thank you.  I'd miss painting your nails and washing your face. I'd miss cutting your hair and buying you shoes.   I'd miss trimming your fingernails and cleaning your ears.  I'd even miss reminding you that shoes go in the shoe closet, to give me a hug, and to wear a jacket. 

I'd miss making your breakfast.  Packing your lunch.  Cooking you dinner.  I'd miss sorting your clothes.  I'd miss bedtime prayers.  I'd miss birthdays and stockings and valentines.  I'd miss finding a babysitter.  I'd miss memory verses.  I'd miss trying to help you find the purple vitamin.  I would miss hearing you play the recorder.  I'd miss those big blue eyes and wide smiles.  I'd miss the way you love so well....so completely....so fully. 

Being your mom is the pleasure of my life.
Heartbroken for any parent who loses a child.
Prayers for the families in Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment