Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

I am in the thick of it right now.  Like so many other mom's.  Andrew's surgery and the barrage of birthdays and fun family celebrations piled on top of  the crunch of school and upcoming EOG's plus the mess of spring.....can we say sand, dirt, scraped knees, the constant in and out= MESS x 5= HUGE MESS!  Not to mention the big closet change from winter to spring x 5.  It is easy to get overwhelmed.  It is easy to feel unappreciated.  It is easy to feel overworked and underpaid!
My want list adds up: select curriculum for school next year, plan Sophie's party, make lesson plans for History for the rest of the co-op year, finish switching the closets, take my van to the car wash, exercise, take a nap, have a yard sale......and on and on and on......work in the yard......go to the farmer's market.......go to the Homeschool Gathering Place......Have a coffee date......Have a date......Watch a movie without falling asleep.....I get focused on me. I get focused on self.  What I want.  What I SHOULD have.  What I SHOULD be able to expect.

So while I was coloring my hair at 6:00 am, because a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do, and waiting for it to process.....to a nice magenta.....but that is a whole other very sad story....UGH......I read this quote:

"When the laundry is for the dozen arms of children or the dozen legs, it's true, I think I'm due some appreciation. So comes a storm of trouble and lightning strikes joy. But when Christ is at the center, when dishes, laundry, work, is my song of thanks to Him, joy rains. Passionately serving Christ alone makes us the loving servant to all. When the eyes of the heart focus on God, and the hands on always washing the feet of Jesus alone-the bones, they sing joy, and the work returns to its purest state: eucharisteo. The work becomes worship, a liturgy of thankfulness."

I LOVE this quote. It comes from a book called: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where you are One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. You may want to read it.....good stuff!

Thank you Lord!  I needed a change of perspective!

This IS my ministry.  So as I went through the day today it was the same.....the cooking, the dishes, the teaching, the cleaning, the picking up, the putting away......I realized I am not doing it for the multitude of children....I'm doing it for the Lord.  It is my worship.  Wow....does that change my attitude or what? 

My whole day....my whole attitude....my whole perspective changed when my focus went from self, and family, and others.....and went to HIM alone!

Thank you Lord for the opportunity to serve right where I am!

1 comment: