Sunday, January 15, 2012

Stones of Remembrance

One thing I have REALLY wanted to do for the last year is setup something tangible to show to my kids as part of our families story of how the Lord works in our lives.  Then I read Joshua 4 where Joshua sets up 12 stones taken from the Jordan and goes on to instruct the Israelites that when future generations ask "What do these stones mean?" to tell them........

So these are our families stones of remembrance.....

1.  A calendar on February 10......this is the day our precious baby Matthew was stillborn and it is also the day my sweet Twinkies were born 5 years later.  I want my children to KNOW that God cares about them....personally.  I want them to KNOW that he cares about the specific details of their lives and that he WILL allow pain......and he DOES allow suffering......but there is BEAUTY from the ashes.

2.  A small plastic croc....this will remind us of the day the Lord provided in the most unusual and fun way.  Jackson "needed" a new pair of crocs.  We went online to search for coupons and found out about a grand opening of a croc store.  We went.....we were "randomly" (not) chosen.....and got to run around the store grabbing shoes for 2 minutes.....Jackson ended up with 2 pairs of Crocs....and so did Lydia and Audrey......and Mommy and Sophie ended up with 3 pairs each.....and Andrew ended up with a pair.....and well poor sweet Daddy....didn't get any....but that is another story!  I want my children to KNOW that God WILL provide.....and sometimes in the most unusual ways.....

3.  A  check....again the Lord provided....on time....Randy has been out of work for 6 months.  It has been difficult.  HOWEVER.....It has been AMAZING to see the Lords provision.  It was 2 days before Christmas.  I checked our online banking and freaked out!  I had a bill scheduled to go out that I thought was scheduled for AFTER Christmas.  It was totally my mistake!  It was on oversight!  It was our largest bill.  I was short $150.  I tried to change the date.....I couldn't without 24 hour notice.  I tried to call the bank to get them to change it......they couldn't without 24 hour notice.....I tried to call my in-laws....because when Randy lost his job and cashed out his retirement we put the money in their bank account so that we wouldn't dwindle it away and would have to really think before we used it......and they were out of town visiting Bob's mom and we couldn't get in touch with them to access the money.....SO...I had a sick feeling.....I prayed and washed my hands of it and chalked it up as a lesson learned......THEN....the phone rang and a friend wanted to drop by and had a gift and when we opened it.....it was a check....and it was money to cover the bill AND then some!  WOW!  So obviously I rushed to the bank......and deposited the check......and the bill was paid.......and from this I want my children to KNOW......God is ALWAYS on time!  He has a plan.  He will provide.....and it is in HIS TIMING...which is perfect.  We will NOT be forsaken.

4.  A small paper bag and a gift card and a match box car.  I can't tell you how often I have left church LOADED in paper bags.  Oh thank you!  This Wednesday night 3 different people brought stuff for my family.  One single mom brought 2 big paper bags FILLED with clothes for my oldest.  Nice clothes.  Needed clothes.  Another mom brought 2 plastic bags LOADED with clothes for Jackson.....from Gymboree!  Mostly church pants.....his closet is filled!  Another sweet family brought games and toys from their playroom.  Bounty!  My kids have already thoroughly enjoyed those!  I am ashamed that I would ever worry....when God has proven SO FAITHFUL!  He LAVISHES blessings on us. When Randy lost his job we also lost our second car....he had a company car.  Our neighbors had just gotten a new car and GAVE us their old car.  Yes GAVE!   I can't tell you how often we would get a gift card.....or a gift.....or hand-me-downs....or invited to go to dinner or the beach......or a check.......or even a car!  It truly has been humbling.  God is so good and so often God's hands are people.  We are his body.  Flesh and Blood left to meet the needs of those around us in the sweet name of Jesus!  I am STUNNED with the way he has provided for us.  I want my kids to KNOW that God USES PEOPLE TO CARRY OUT HIS PLAN.  I want them (and me) to be sensitive to what the Lord leads them (us) to do and how he wants to use them (us).

So Joshua 4:4-8a says, "So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, and said to them, "Go over before the ark of the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan.  Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you.  In the future, when your children ask you, What do these stones mean?  tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord.  When it crossed the Jordan, the water of the Jordan were cut off.  These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.  So the Israelites did as Joshua commanded them."

Yes it may look a bit strange.....but I want my children to KNOW.....


3 comments:

  1. kim, you are awesome...and a great example of a mama to me :) praying for you guys and for randy's interview this week!!! miss you and your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metaphors are one of the most powerful ways to teach deep truth. You have chosen beautiful/artistic/real life symbols to pass on eternal unchanging truth. As you tell the stories, passing down God's narrative twisting and spinning through your family these symbols with etch pictures on hearts.

    In the years to come, at just the moment needed one of your children will see or hold one of those symbols in their hand as they are going about their day. In a millisecond they will have an epiphany and God's life and light will fill their space. They will remember God's love and the love of their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat Kim! I've always thought the book of Joshua was so meaningful and personal and you have definitely made it so.

    ReplyDelete