Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Why I Love Homeschooling....

So last week I told you why I hated homeschooling.....so this week I'll tell you why I love it!

1.  THE BOY.....
He is so cool.  I have had so much fun getting to know him over the last 13 years.  He is one of the most intelligent people I've ever known.  He is a quick study.  He is obedient.  He likes to please authority....which makes living with him very pleasant.  He LOVES history and I've learned so much history by "teaching" him.  He LOVES guitar and he's getting really good.  He LOVES the Steelers and Call of Duty and PS3 anything and texting and swimming and hanging out with his Dad and his friends.  He's really nice to his brothers and sisters and I just really enjoy him.

2.  THE GIRL......
She is soooooo much like me it is not even funny!  She feels things so deeply.  She is absolutely overflowing with questions and longs to KNOW stuff and people.  She is deeply guarded and slow to open up and trust people.  She is a hard worker.  She works soooooo hard.  Life and learning, in a traditional textbook way, are not easy for her....but she has an incredible work ethic.  She also has a great memory for events....not facts so much.....but REALLY remembers details of events.  It is uncanny!  She LOVES arts and crafts and listening to stories.  She loves to "write". She has an incredible imagination.  She is athletically gifted.  She adores babies and cooking.  No one would ever call her an easy child.....but she is absolutely delightful!

3.  THE TWINKIE GIRL.....
She is a lot like THE BOY.  She is smart.  She has her ducks in a row.  She is easy.  She is compliant.  She longs to please.  She also cares a lot about other people.  She is neat and organized.  She LOVES to dance and sing and ADORES her little sister.  She loves to snuggle and to take care of people.  I am enjoying watching her come into her own.

4.  THE TWINKIE BOY....aka Randy Jr.
He is a miniature Randy.  He is TOUGH as nails but SWEET and tenderhearted.  ALL BOY!  DIRTY....MESSY.....KNUCKLE HEAD!  However....you would be hard pressed to find anyone who wanted  to be loved more or accepted.  Sweet, sweet, sweet, mess!  LOVE MY TWINKIE BOY.  He also has a lot of learning struggles.  He also works VERY hard.  Loves to snuggle.  Loves to play with his big brother.  Loves to play outside.  Can't wait to see what the Lord will do with his life!

5.  THE BABY
She is FUNNY!  Loves to make us laugh.  So silly.  Loves to entertain.  She is a bit flighty....has trouble focusing at times....but REALLY smart and if she does listen she has an amazing memory.  She is very neat.  She likes to be fancy....but cherishes comfort.  She likes soft fancy clothes.  Hates itchy stuff and hates anything not girly!  She loves to hug people and is very outgoing and friendly. 

They are the best part of homeschooling.  I have LOVED getting to know my kids.  The good parts.  The bad parts.  The strengths and the weaknesses.  I have LOVED living life with them.  For me homeschooling is not about academics.  It is certainly where we spend a large portion of our time and certainly has it's place but academics can be learned at home, at school....private/public/charter....wherever.  For me homeschooling is about living life....all of it....while learning together.  It is about transferring OUR values to OUR children in a very intentional way.  It is about BUILDING REAL and lasting relationships with one another, parent and child....and sibling to sibling.  It is not about "keeping" them from the real world.  We live in the real world.  It is about guiding them and teaching them along the way how to navigate the real world.  It is not about "sheltering" them.  It is about allowing them to grow strong, while in a safe and loving environment, so that when they are strong and when they are removed from our protection they will be ready to stand strong. 

Other bonuses.....
1.  Their teacher and their mom always see eye to eye :)
2.  We never have a family/school calender conflict.
3.  I never have a disagreement with the curriculum.
4.  My children are never too far behind or too far ahead.  They are always exactly where they need to be.

I do not think homeschooling makes you a better parent.  Some of the best parents I know (ie. Shay and Linda) sent their kids to public school the entire way through.  Some of the strangest parents I know (I won't give an example....because that would just be RUDE) homeschool.  I think homeschooling is a choice.  I love the choice we've made.  I don't try to talk people into or out of homeschooling.  I think it is a great option.  NOT THE RIGHT OPTION....not even the best option for everyone.....I think we all need to pray, invest, and love our kids and our spouses and thank God for his grace which covers all our mess ups.  Believe me.....I have plenty and unfortunately...my kids often have a front row seat....so thankful for grace!

Anyway....there you have it....Why I love and why I hate homeschooling!
Love
Kim

 


They are why I homeschool and They are why I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! So well said and beautiful! I'm with you 100% and love your honestly and confidence. I have retreated from blogging about homeschooling from fear of many things...thanks for giving a beautiful example to me. I love that you're down the road a little from where I sit. Its great to see the reward of knowing your kids so well. I love that part about homeschooling too! Thankful for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is blessed to have you Asa their mom & teacher. Love each one of you!

    ReplyDelete