Saturday, August 6, 2011

Why I hate homeschooling....

    You often hear people on both sides of the schooling issue say what they LOVE about their school choice.....but as a career homeschooler.....I want to keep it real and while I do LOVE homeschooling there is a lot about it that I hate.  So following is my list of what I hate about homeschooling:
  1. Sometimes I want to be just a mommy.  I get tired of having to be the mean old teacher!  I feel like I am ALWAYS correcting my children!  I want to pack lunches in cute lunchboxes with notes wishing them a great day.  I want to dress my kids in adorable back to school clothes and buy all those irresistible back to school supplies! 

and here's their first day of school picture....no cute lunchboxes, random outfits, and blankets????  I mean don't get me wrong.  I know it's shallow and yes I think they are adorable....but I don't know it would be fun to go shopping for all that cuteness!
I want to meet their teachers and help in their classrooms.  I want to be a room mother.  I want to be the chaperon on the field trip.  I want to go to teacher conferences and hear the teacher tell me, "while they may be struggling with this or that they sure are a sweet child"....or "while they may talk at inappropriate times they sure are a math whiz".....I want some feedback.  I want to know I am doing okay.  I want to know they are doing okay.  I want them to do all the teacher work.....and I just want to be a Mommy! 


    2.  My house is NEVER clean!  By never....I mean never.

Notebooks clutter the counters.

We always trying to grow something or make something, or build something on the kitchen table!

There are always dishes in the sink.....As soon as I load and start the dishwasher....more dishes appear!
Messy, messy, messy house and it drives me CrAzY!


   3.   It is expensive to buy all that curriculum!  I saw on a news program recently that in public schools they spend an average of $9,500 per student per year.  So that would give me right around $50,000 a year.  I could have a NICE school for that.  Unfortunately, I only get to spend a small fraction of that a year and that is still a LOT of money.  My $1,000 divided by 5 doesn't always get me EVERYTHING I want....but that is all I can afford!  Curriculum cost MUCHO!


  4.  It can get REALLY boring.....especially in the winter.  Everyday often seems the same.  Crazy, wild, busy, yet the same.  After about 5 months I'm usually getting pretty bored!


  5.  You do miss out on the holiday parties, and fundraisers, and field days, and school programs....I REALLY want to be a room mother!  I want to dress them up at Halloween and send them off to school parties. I want to make Indian head dresses and Pilgrim hats and have a feast. I want to play Secret Santa. I want to buy teacher gifts. I want to make Valentines. I want to have Easter Egg Hunts. I want to help out at field day......I want to have end of year parties.  I want to go door to door selling wrapping paper.....I want to sit and watch my kids be adorable in school programs......I do miss the fun of school!


  6.  Finally, I hate homeschooling because I am 36 and for some reason algebra is still a relevant part of my daily existence....and believe you me....I could live without that!

  7.  I hate when I tell people we homeschool and they then proceed to try to convenience me to not homeschool.  I don't try to convenience anyone to homeschool and I would appreciate the same courtesy.  I think schooling is a family choice.  I think each family is different and each child is different.  I trust parents will make the best decisions for their children and I REALLY wish others would return the favor!  Most people are gracious and interested but there is a segment of the population on either side of the issue that think it is their personal responsibility to convert those on the other side!




So if I hate it so much, why do I do it?
Because as much as I hate it.....I love it more!
Tomorrow I'll try to post Why I LOVE homeschooling.....
Nothing is ever simple but these are the things I don't like about homeschooling!
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Love your honest post. I see you doing so many of the things you mentioned. regarding holiday parties, you're over the top! You're doing an amazing job. nd all the messiness is a true sign of much life!I certainly respect what you're doing and the proof is in t qhe pudding. Your. Kids have a wonderful legacy my dear, Look forward to reading your next post on why you love homeschooling even more than you hat it! Your commitment is exemplary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I homeschooled my children for 3 years of their "schooling years." I would have given anything to have homeschooled them from Pre-K on up through high school graduation.

    Kim, I know at times it is discouraging and difficult, but the rewards and sacrifices you are making now, will shine brightly in years to come.

    Like you suggest, loving homeschooling far outweighs hating it!

    May God bless all your efforts!

    ReplyDelete