Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Pretty Typical School Day

Today was a busy and normal day at our house.  I woke up a little later then normal, around 7:00, because I couldn't get to sleep last night but other then that the rest of the day went pretty much normal.  We had breakfast, did our family devotions, got dressed and did chores and then started school. 

School Goes pretty much like this:

While THE BOY works on Health (2 days a week) or Typing (2 days a week) and THE GIRL works on her handwriting. I do preschool with the THE TWINKIES AND THE BABIES.  Preschool is usually a story that goes along with our weekly theme, theme songs, a very simple craft or activity that goes with our theme, sometimes a game too, then we work on Bible Verses for Cubbies, and do some simple Letter of the Week activities.  That is pretty much their formal schooling.  THE GIRL usually finishes up her handwriting and will do some of the Preschool activities with the little ones.


 If THE BOY finishes up before preschool is over he starts on his Math Program.  His Math is computer based.  After Preschool I get a special toy for the little ones to play with in the Den and then I start to work with THE GIRL on her Phonics, Reading, Spelling, and Writing.  It's usually close to 10:00 by this point and we take a short break.  Today we ran a few quick errands: picked up a check and went to Costco. 


Then SURPRISE: We got home around 11:00 or 11:30 and my mom was at our house.  I forgot it was Tuesday!  My mom (the BEST) takes time out of her life each Tuesday to invest in my kids and help me!  In the summer she takes ALL the kids every Tuesday to give me a day off and during the school year mom takes the kids one at a time to spend time with them one on one (which is really important to me and something I can't do as much as I wish I could) so today was Audrey's turn.  I NEVER forget Tuesday's....I look forward to them and so do the kids....but all day today I thought it was Monday!  Nevertheless mom was there and Audrey was thrilled that it was her turn!

Around 11:00 we get back to the books: THE BOY does his History and Guitar and THE GIRL does Math with me.  The Little ones watch a TV show selected by me during this portion of our school day.  It is usually something like BOZ, Strawberry Shortcake, or Berienstain Bears. 

Then we have lunch together.  After lunch I read to THE BOY while the TWINKIES and GIRL played upstairs.  Next, I read to THE GIRL and the TWINKIES while THE BOY did his Reading.  By this time it is around 1:00 and that means ROOM TIME!!!  This is when everyone goes to their room and plays by themselves quietly for 1 hour.  Usually THE BABY and sometimes THE TWINKIE BOY will fall asleep.  The other 3 just use this as free time to play quietly and they all enjoy room time and so do I!!!!!  I use Room time to check emails, grade papers, prep for school, read, make phone calls, etc.

After room time the kids can get a snack if they are hungry and then I work with THE BOY on his Spelling which is definitely his biggest area of weakness scholastically.  I also am accessible for him while he works on Writing assignments, Vocabulary, and Grammar.  THE 4 younger kids play together during my one on one time with THE BOY.  THE BOY then Reads and finishes his day by doing any Co-op homework: today he had Spanish, a Writing Outline, and began memorizing the first 12 countries in Africa.  Tomorrow for co-op he will have to use his Writing Outline to write a rough draft and finish memorizing the first 12 countries in Africa as well as answering some Geography homework.  While THE BOY is doing the last of his work THE GIRL and I do History and some Explode the Code Worksheets.  The Little ones are either sleeping or playing or doing art most of the afternoon.  Sometimes I will let them watch another show. 
We finished up today around 4:00 and I spent the next hour working on some Cross-stitch gifts I'm making for some friends for Christmas.  Then I started dinner.  We had dinner and Randy did baths while I straightened up.  Then we just had some family time as we tucked the kids in.  I played a game of Yahtzee with the TWINKIE BOY, Read a book to THE BABY and TWINKIE GIRL, played Tic-Tac-Toe and memory with THE GIRL, and hung out and talked to THE BOY. 

I am EXHAUSTED.....but I'm somewhat engrossed by a show Randy and I discovered yesterday called HOARDING....YIKES.....It makes me feel much better about my substandard housekeeping skills.....YAWN I better go to bed soon.....tomorrow is a REALLY BUSY DAY...all the regular stuff plus gymnastics, speech, and I have to clean my Dad's office (my part time job) and go grocery shopping.....MUST SLEEP!

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Kim...wow! I am so impressed! You and your kids sound incredible. I can't even get my kids to do their homework. What a fantastic experience for all of you. I love reading your blog so keep it up girl!
    Love you
    christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christy! They are actually pretty normal and I am VERY normal! I just don't blog about me fussing.....them whining....maybe I'll do that one day :) Because believe me....it does happen... A LOT :) Thanks for the encouragement though.

    ReplyDelete