Friday, October 21, 2011

The Pondering I Planned to Ignore.

Okay....I almost let the week slip by without a pondering post. I REALLY did not like this passage SHAY.....It stepped on my toes. It got to one of my root issues. I don't really feel like addressing this issue right now in my life....but here it is....(I cut and pasted from Shay's Blog to save time)

This Week’s Passage and Memory Verse (in red): 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Now I could dive into the spiritual lessons of this passage, of which there are many, however the part that convicts me is the physical. UGH.....I've given birth to 6 babies.....I'm busy homeschooling and raising 5 children......I am recovering from severe exhaustion of life.....and I live with foodies (and have joyfully become one) and am surrounded by exercise/fitness fanatics (no offense....if you think I may be talking about you :) The last thing I want to think about, talk about, or be convicted of is my body.

Here's my brief psycho analysis of myself.
1. I grew up in a loving, Christian home with health conscious parents who modeled good eating and good exercise. I like healthy food. I like unhealthy food. I actually just like food. I have never been a big outdoorsy/sweaty/ exercise person. I am a sit and chat and relate person. So exercising is not really fun for me....not even the hike or swim or "fun" exercise appeals to me.

2. I was blessed with a great metabolism. I have always been an eater. However my age and child bearing has taken a tole and apparently I can no longer get away with my eat whatever and don't exercise and be thin ways of my youth.

3. As a teenager I was considered by many to be attractive. A lot of focus was put on my appearance (not by my parents....I mean they told me I was pretty but they didn't make it my identity) However others did. I had a lot of attention from boys as a teenager. Lots of dates. Lots of phone calls. Lots of compliments....boys liked me a lot. Girls did not. I was pretty shy...which came across I'm sure as very stuck up. I only had a few girl friends.  As I gained weight I noticed boys paid less attention to me and girls liked me better.  I liked that. 

So busy life + 6 pregnancies + slower metabolism + hate of exercise + love of food + issues = my current situation

Then along comes Shay with his pondering.....

I am a competitor.....I do love a prize......I do get this is talking about spiritual conditioning along with physical conditioning.  I've spent a lot of the last 14 years on the spiritual part....I guess it might be time to focus a little on the physical. 

Now....as I post this I realize that I may get much "encouragement" from all my sweet, well meaning, generous fitness fanatic family :).....I am not ready to go Paleo....I am  not ready to become a major athlete I am taking baby steps....So pray for me.  I do not want fitness or health or beauty or the physical to become my life or my obsession or my identity or even my pastime....I just want to try to integrate healthier choices in small doses....that is all I can take right now!

And Shay could you please try to refrain from any further pondering that has to do with physical fitness.....I'm just sayin'

I did get up and do my exercise video and drink and cup of water BEFORE I read my Bible and BEFORE I blogged....I don't know if it will become a habit but you can seriously pray for me in this area.  Now for some coffee!

A work in progress....
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Just never know what might hit home. Glad you didn't ignore the pondering. You will like this week's better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kim. Want to meet me at the gym Monday at 9 for some CrossFit and then go out afterwards for a delicious no-sugar, no-grain, no-legume, no-dairy lunch? Oh yeah, you said that's what you don't want us to do;) In all seriousness, I will pray for you! When the Lord shows us stuff he's ready to change, it's painful, but I know it will be good!! Let us know how you're doing along the way.

    ReplyDelete