Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tis the Season!

Well as you may know we got back late Saturday from our Thanksgiving in the mountains.  As you may also know I am a struggling good  adequate housekeeper.  It is not natural or easy for me to keep a presentable house.  And if you know me at all....you know I have laundry issues.  AND.... my dear sister-in-law Holly has recently helped me devise a laundry plan....HOWEVER....this trip to the mountains has somehow put a kink in the plans.....

I've been doing catch up.....even though I did 2 loads while we were away......So I did finally get it all done last night and I did make the kids put it away this morning....BUT before I can breathe a sigh of relief I must make sure to follow through with the load currently in the washer and the one currently in the dryer.  I'm getting stressed out!  I don't want to go back to my laundry mountain!

Why is it that normal stuff....like laundry, the holidays, errands, just LIFE can be so da gum stress producing???

I DON"T KNOW.....but I am starting to feel that slow escalating of panic that often proceeds a full blown...MOM'S GONE CRAZY episode!

It's not just the laundry....that is almost done (for a moment at least), it's not the house (it's not a disaster....just normal messy), it's not school....we are plugging away and somehow still relatively on track....I think it's just everything....

I think it's the CONSTANT dialogue...here is a 15 second snippet from my house to yours.....
"I'm hungry.  Mama I want a bowl of sprinkle cheese, I want a bowl of sprinkle cheese, I want a bowl of sprinkle cheese, Can I have a bowl of sprinkle cheese Mama?  Mama?  Will you please just get me a bowl? Just get me a bowl of cheese....."  (from an unnamed child age 4 of the female variety)

REALLY?  SERIOUSLY?  I don't even have time to process this request....much less articulate an answer....."YES!!!! GET SOME SPRINKLE CHEESE!"  I know....charming.

I think it is the demanding schedule....
school for a middle schooler, school for an elementary aged child with learning disabilities, Preschool, Speech, Grocery store, driving all over creation, going to the library to save money on buying books, Co-op, Church functions, cleaning dad's office, pulling medical files for Ruth, reminder phone calls.....

Cleaning Up messes.....from water paint and sprinkle cheese eating....which takes no time to make and quite a time to cleanup!


yes that is all "sprinkle cheese"  That is how they stay so trim.  They throw it all over the table, chair, and floor instead of their mouths :)


I think its all the fun extras....
trips to the mountains, decorating the house for Christmas, hosting people, Christmas Pageants, Basketball practices, Cheerleading, Guitar, play dates, birthday parties, date nights.....

It just adds up....it's not one thing...it's EVERYTHING.

I try to be very discerning about what we get involved in because believe it or not I really strive to leave margins in our lives for fun, rest, work, play, and doing nothing.....it just seems to somehow continue to be filled!  I think when 7 people are each involved in a little though....it very quickly becomes a lot!

So......what's a Mama to do?

I blog....it helps me sort it all out.  It helps my blood pressure return to normal.  It helps me realize we are all in this boat together....doing life, trying to figure it out.

I try to remember that this is a season of my life.  These messy, loud, demanding yet adorable, sweet, snugly little rascals, who often sometimes drive me bonkers, I have a sneaking suspicion are going to grow up and leave WAY too fast.  I try to drink up every bit of it and savor it and enjoy it.  I don't always!  I get mad.  I lose my temper.  I veg out....but I'm striving to connect, enjoy, and savor every moment....the good, the bad, and the messy.  My Mama promises me that one day my house will be neat.....and it will also be empty.  In her wisdom she assures me that our mess is evidence of life!  Well let me tell you there is a lot of life up in this place!

I also try to remember to turn to the Lord.  He really does give me rest.  He really does restore me when I am weary.  He really does lay out in his word what maters and how we are to live our lives.  He is so good.  He is so perfect.  He is THE perfect parent. 

So......from one Mama to another.....I say let's seize the day.....clean up the sprinkle cheese, pull out the Christmas decorations and the broom....(because you KNOW that special ornament....will get broken) and buckle up.....this really is just a season! And in the midst of it all I pray that my family and yours will remember the real reason for this CRAZY season!

Love,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. I like your "REALLY? SERIOUSLY?" ode to Chris Cockerham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Kim. Can definitely relate to that "almost going over the edge" feeling at times and we don't have nearly as much going on as you! It is definitely just everyday life and maybe the fact that it feels like we should have it all together, since we aren't going through any major crisis, and yet we don't. Something that's been helpful in calming me lately is getting on pandora.com and putting on the "How Great is Our God" channel. Sometimes in the morning, the boys and I just sit at the computer and sing along for a few minutes and other times, I just put it on when I'm busy doing stuff. It really makes everything a little nicer--especially my attitude--to just worship!

    ReplyDelete