Friday, November 12, 2010

This was a hard one for me

I haven't blogged in about a week.  It's been a busy week and this post is a hard one for me.... So I'm going to start where I'm comfortable....talking about books because.....
Anybody who knows me at all knows that I love to read.  I hated learning how to read....and I was a very reluctant reader best I remember....but once I finally got the hang of it I was hooked.

As a child I really liked reading the Ramona Quimby books (remind me a lot of today's Junie B. Jones books)  I remember spending hours going to so many different places....all through a book.

Another wonderful memory I have is being read to.  I had a 5th grade teacher Mrs. Hartwell that would read to us every afternoon.  She read wonderful books: like The Westing Game, James and the Giant Peach, and one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES.....Charlotte's Web.

So.....Naturally.....I still spend any free time I can find, reading.....for information, for pleasure, to my children......I LOVE TO READ.  I am so Thankful to the teachers that took the time to teach me to read.  it has been a gift.

I am going somewhere with all this....It's just hard for me to figure out the best way to get there....because I'm about to be really vulnerable....and I'm nervous....so before I get there let me continue a bit more and mention a few of my favorite books....old, new, for kids, and for adults....

My first book series I loved as a child as I already alluded to: Ramona Quimby books (the new movie Ramona and Beezus is fabulous too!)
I also really loved Charlotte's Web and The Westing Game (GREAT mystery)
One of my favorite books that I read to my kids is called I Love You Stinky Face (about unconditional love)
One of my favorite books to read to my girls is called The Princesses Kiss (about the importance of purity)
The best book I read this year (I actually read it to THE BOY....who could have easily read it to himself...but I think reading to children....even the big ones....is so good!)  is called Escape from the Tower of London The Ravenmaster's Secret.  THE BOY and I have thoroughly enjoyed this book and it has given us so much to talk about.... (which an almost 13 year old and his mom don't often have) Sooooo GOOD!!!!  It provides lots of opportunities to discuss moral issues.  Very engaging story! Hmmmm....another all time favorite is Dr. Seuss Oh, The Places You'll Go! (just a very honest view of life in my opinion) and PD Eastmon (I think) Diffendoofer Day (about how being different is okay) 

I guess I'll blog about grown up books another time.

Anyway I guess I must get to the point. 

THE GIRL has been struggling with reading (like her Mama did) and she wants to read, we do reading consistently, she is trying hard, I know how to teach reading (I've taught a child to read AND I have a degree in elementary education with a minor and concentration in Reading!  So.....after much denial on my part....after all ignorance is bliss....I've finally faced the fact that MY GIRL is not a reluctant, or a late blooming reader, she actually has dyslexia. She doesn't have a few signs of dyslexia...she has almost every sign.  There I said it.

I can hear you all already WHY ARE YOU BLOGGING ABOUT THIS????!!!!  YOU DON"T WANT HER TO BE LABELED!!!!  EVERYBODY WILL KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this I say..... so!  Nothing is WRONG with being dyslexic.  It is a GENETIC (inherited....most likely from her slow to read Mama) LEARNING DISABILITY.  She can't help it.  She didn't do anything wrong and neither did I.  It is how God in his divine wisdom and love created my little girl.  I must echo the words of the Psalmist....that "she is fearfully and wonderfully made".  If someone chooses to label her as dyslexic that is their choice.  We label her as PRECIOUS, BEAUTIFUL-inside and out, INTELLIGENT, DELIGHTFUL, LOVING, GIFTED, KIND, ATHLETIC, and CREATIVE. 

I want people to know because.....I don't want people to ask her to read and embarrass her.  I don't want people to decide, out of their concern or love, to try to "teach" her or offer her "pop quizzes" on her reading.  I want people to do as we have been instructed to do for the next year.  Read everything FOR her and give her NO outside reading, spelling, or grammar instruction so that she can get the most out of her new reading program without being confused by others well intentioned input.  She is learning and she will be able to read fine.  She is just going to have to learn to read at her own pace and in a very different way then other children learn to read.  I am glad that we know what is going on with her reading and I'm glad we can work now toward teaching her to read instead of wondering why she's not reading. 

Finally, I know many are saying.....it's her information to share..... not yours!  To that I say....I am her parent and she is 7.  I am to do what is in her best interest.  I love her and I adore her and I tell everyone out of love and concern for her.  If it is a secret....to me that denotes shame.  I want her to have NO SHAME because it is not shameful.  I don't want her to think because something is hard or a struggle or because she is "different" then other people that she should be ashamed.  She should not have any SHAME and so I see no reason to keep it a secret.  Well....kids might tease her....yes they might....and that would be a character issue on their part.....

I want to teach her to celebrate her weakness for in her weakness HE is made strong!

And most of all I'm glad God created my SWEET girl EXACTLY the way he did!  She is my absolute treasure!  It is my hope and my prayer that THE GIRL will one day be able to enjoy the gift of reading and have the same joy in reading that I am able to enjoy.  I have no idea what her future holds but I totally and completely trust the one who holds it!  Now I must go....It's time for school!

10 comments:

  1. More power to you & your family Kim!! Sophie is a total sweetheart-we love her!! You have a great attitude & your children are very blessed to have a loving mom like u!!!!God Bless u & your sweet family!!

    Sudha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fantastic mom and teacher!

    Often when I face a hurdle with my children I have to remind myself that struggle makes us stronger!

    When I struggle I see Gods Soveriegnty, His love and concern for me, and I grow nearer to Him. The same is true for my kiddos.

    I'm going to pray that you and your precious GIRL cling to Him as you walk through this road. Because eventually, she will learn to read, but you'll never be able to measure the things God will teach you both through this time.

    Label her? Judge you? No way! Instead I'll give thanks for the work the Lord has done in you both, and the work He's going to do!

    Thank you for sharing your heart...I know it isn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing love!!! God's got a plan & He's working it through you!
    "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
    1 Thess. 5:15-18

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much more can be said..but I love your GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Kim. I'm wondering how Sophie feels about all this? I know among family and friends she will have no critics!! Sophie is soo precious and my first thought when Matt said, "Have you read Kim's blog? Sophie is dyslexic," was, "Oh, okay, well I'm sure Kim knows how to teach her." I didn't think at all that you should hide it or be afraid to label her or any of that stuff! Like you said, it's just part of how she was made! Anyway, I just am finding it so interesting to see how different kids are as they learn. Also, so thankful Sophie has you to teach her! Know she's in the best place she can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I sure love that girl just the way she is! She is perfectly Sophie, and so perfectly precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great neice who is 7 and her name is also Sophie. She was diagnosed dyslexic about a year ago. She is doing wonderful and both girls are so fortunate to have been discovered so young. Sometimes it can be hidden till teen or even adult years. I think you have made the right decision letting friends and family know so we can be mindful of this and encourage and support Sophie. My Mom is 77 and I believe she is dyslexic but has been able to hide it all her life. It just explains so many things about her. I know she has struggled all her life. Sophie (both of them) will accomplish anything she attempts because of the love and support from her family. You are a wonderful Mom and your kids are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say, with tears of gratitude for your love and encouragement, to each of you women is THANK YOU. I treaure EACH of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, This is soooo encouraging from so many standpoints. I appreciate your willingness to share something so personal and know God will work this for yours and Sophie's good as He promised. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the girl - especially the hugs that I steal from her when she is not looking. Grace and Peace as you guys continue your adventure together.

    ReplyDelete