Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Why We Quit Homeschooling

I honestly thought I would have homeschooled all my kids all the way through.  Not because I thought it was THE right thing to do....it is just what we did.....and I liked it.....a lot......sometimes.

So when we had our yearly "what is your input about school next year" talk with the kids I was fairly shocked when 3 of the kids REALLY wanted to go to school.  I didn't expect it.   That had never happened.   I wasn't really thinking about any big changes this year.  Things were okay. 

That being said....I am in a unique situation, as all parents are, with my kids.  First the sheer number of them and their ages and their individual school needs, skills, abilities, challenges, personalities etc.  Not to mention my own personal development, growth, financial needs, and sanity.....and this is a season.  I know in this season this is what the Lord has for our family.  I think we will be able to grow and develop in ways that we can not without this change.  I am VERY excited and surprised by this season!  Yet I have peace and support and a lot of hope mixed with a little fear and uncertainty.  Yet I KNOW God IS faithful.  All the time. 

So as I thought about the possibility of school....I must admit....I did sorta want to do it.  It wasn't my idea....but I did kinda like it.  It was exciting.  It was new.  It seemed like a breath of fresh air.  Randy and I started praying.  We started talking.  We started thinking and looking and decided we would test the waters.  I would apply for a teaching position and we would walk through doors if they opened all while praying.  We were sure of this.  We wanted what God wanted.  One thing we were specifically praying was that IF I were hired for a teaching position it would be K,1, or 4th grade.  I would not have kids in those grades.  I always tagged on to my prayers...."and please let it be K or 1 because I hate 4th grade math."

Doors began to open. Things began to fall into place.  Plans started to come together.  I have a great sense of peace and joy and excitement over this.  The job I was offered was for first grade.  I LOVE first grade!!!!

Now this next part is VERY important for me to say and for you to hear.  ESPECIALLY my dear homeschool Mama friends and co-op teacher friends.  You are in the trenches.  You are doing a good and important work.  What you are doing matters.  SO MUCH.  Keep going.  I can honestly say that unless I felt the Lord SPECIFICALLY calling me NOT to homeschool.....I would homeschool.  I think it is a WONDERFUL benefit to family life, to faith building, to character development.  You CAN do it Mama's....the Lord WILL provide exactly what you need to do it.  He is faithful.  So stay the course.  If the Lord has placed homeschooling on your heart.  GO FOR IT!  I am SOOOO grateful for the 11 YEARS I have spent homeschooling.  They have been the absolute pleasure of my life. I would not trade them for ANYTHING!   I admire you and will miss you and loved being among the ranks of you.  I still consider myself a homeschool mom because Andrew is going to finish out.  He loves homeschooling.  So don't think I'm leaving.  I'm not!  I love you Mama's and I am proud to be one of you. 

Pray for us.  Pray this will be a positive experience for our family.  Pray we will make wise decisions and ALWAYS seek the Lord.  Always!

Love,
Mrs. Stewart (Ha!  I couldn't help myself!  I've wanted my own classroom since I was a little girl....and I am SOOOOOO excited!)

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to see a homeschooling mom excited about putting their children in school. It sounds like an exciting opportunity. After 18 years, i put 4 of my remaining 5 children in school. My youngest will join them in the fall. Stop by my blog i started for homeschool moms considering school and former homeschool moms and share your experience.

    ReplyDelete