Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Great Weight Update.....

It is that time again....Weight Loss Reporting Time.....

This was a s-l-o-w month.  I have worked VERY hard though.  I have run 88.19 miles this month.  That is pretty far!  I am still amazed that just 6 months ago I had not run in about 23 years.  Now I run regularly. It is just amazing to me.  I run 4 days a week so I am averaging 22 miles a week and just over 5 miles per run.  It's hard.  It feels good though.  I pour sweat.  I ache.  I'm getting strong.  So week after week when I step on the scale and it is barely moving it can get discouraging. 

I know working out matters for health and for psychological well being but I also know that diet matters more for weight loss.  As my brother always says, "you can't work off bad eating habits".  So I have also been watching my diet VERY closely.  I eat about 1,400 calories a day when I don't run and add calories to that when I do run.....so if I run 5 miles I may end up eating 700 more calories....taking me up to 2,100 calories on running days....so I am eating and I am eating enough.....I am also trying to make better calorie choices.

I drink water....A LOT.....I eat a variety of healthy foods.  I eat a little junk.  I weigh and measure my food so I don't guess.  I know what I am eating AND after a whole month I only lost 2.2 pounds.  UGH!  WHAT???

I know....I know....I AM gaining muscle.  I know I have lost a lot of weight.  I know you want to lose it slowly so that it stays off....but really?!?  A whole month.  No cheating.  Working out like a maniac and only 2.2 pounds.....Grrr....

It is what it is.

However the good news is: It all adds up.  I am at week 51 on my lifestyle change.  I am averaging 1.6 pounds a week.  That is a healthy sustainable weight loss.  So I have lost 81.8 pounds so far this year.  I'll take it!

 I still remember LAST summer walking into Weight Watchers for my first meeting.  I was so self-conscious.  I was so frustrated with how far I had let myself go.  I was at a very low point in life.  I can't believe how much better I feel now!  I have decided that even if it takes another year to lose the last 28 pounds....I am okay with that.   I am happy!  I am healthy!  I am strong!  I am trying to honor God with my body.  I feel fantastic.  So no matter what the scale says I am in it.  I will finish.  This is my life.  It is not a diet.  It is an act of obedience.  It is an act of worship.  It is the sanctification of a rebellious heart of a girl who was going to do what she wanted, how she wanted, when she wanted.  It is NOT always fun.  It is NOT always what I feel like doing.....but it is what I am going to do.  It is the way I am going to live.  So what is the rush?!?!  I've got a lifetime!

One thing that happens as you gain weight, at least for me, is that you slowly withdrawal from life.  I didn't do things I wanted to do or would enjoy because it made me uncomfortable or self-conscious or I didn't think I could.  I told myself I didn't have time or money or it was to dangerous but those were lies I used to appease myself.  So as I enter year 2 of my life style change I am challenging myself to LIVE.  I am going to do things that seem physically risky, yet fun, to me.  For example.....I used to really enjoy snow skiing.  I haven't done it in years.  I have never taken my kids.  So I am planning to take Andrew snow skiing this winter.  I used to enjoy white water rafting.  Yet as I gained weight I worried about sinking the boat.  Now I'm ready to try it again so this fall I want to take Andrew on a rafting trip.  I also want to go rollerskating, ice skate, run a 10 K, run a half marathon, ride a horse, go on the water slide at the beach, I may even try to ride a bike (which has always been super scary to me).  Watch out world 2014 is going to be a year of taking risks for me!  My motto: If it scares me....it may be a good thing to try!  I'm getting butterflies just typing this.  So the journey continues.  He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it! 

A work in progress,
Kim

PS Randy is doing GREAT!  He has lost 96 pounds!!!!!  He is on week 50 of his lifestyle change.  He just went on a major shopping spree with his birthday money and bought an entire new wardrobe.  He's going on round two of his shopping spree tonight!  Bye bye size 42 jeans....Hello size 33!  Yep...my man is looking good!  He has run as far as 10 miles at a time.  He is sooooo close to his ideal weight he can taste it!  I am thinking he is weighing in at about 202.  I am so proud of him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment