Tuesday, May 7, 2013

WARNING! The Last Time!

Audrey lost her first tooth last week. 



It really got me to thinking.  It was the last first tooth at our house.  I got a picture.

I have lots of pictures of firsts.  First Day of kindergarten.


First time fishing.

First time on speaking on stage.



First dance recital


You get the point....but lately I've been thinking a lot about the last.

The first is easy to document.
The last is another story.

I guess it's partly due to the fact that Andrew, my oldest, is going to be a sophomore in high school.
I don't even remember the last time he came running to me crying because he got hurt.
Now he barely even tells me.
I noticed a huge scab on his elbow and had to ask to find out what had happened.
When was the last time?
I don't have a picture.

And Sophie doesn't call crying from every sleepover asking me to pick her up.
In fact when was the last time?
Now the phone sits still while she giggles with friends and does makeovers.
When was the last time she hid behind me in a group?
Now she runs to find her friends!
She calls them on the phone.
She orchestrates her own sleepovers!

Were last months fistful of purple flowers my last bouquet?
Was Sundays love note it?
Will I ever be asked to play Candy Land again?
Was last nights visitor our last?







If I knew....would I do anything differently?

Would I take more pictures?

Would I hold on tighter?

Would I live more gently?

Would I breath deep and slow to still time?

WARNING....What if today is the last?

I LOVE my family.  I love where we are.  It's going too fast though.  The sleepless nights I thought would NEVER end.  Have ended.  The constant surveillance of children just trying to keep them out of the street and from chucking toys into the toilet are over.
So I have a feeling that one day their fussing will become silent. 
And so will my house.
Their rooms will stay clean.
But they will also be empty.

Life is loud and exhausting and constant and messy around here.
Very, very messy.

That is the cost....but the benefit is
It is satisfying and memory laden and meaningful and just plain full.
Very, very full.

My last losing her first baby tooth reminded me that we are done with baby days and the toddler days and the preschool days.  That chapter has closed.   We are in the throes of childhood and Andrew is on the verge of being launched into the world.
A few short years.

When will be the last time all my children sit at my table for a Tuesday night regular dinner?
Maybe I should take a picture.
Maybe I should pull out the china.
I wish a note or a warning came.
This is the last time....Savor it.....Drink it up....Take a picture.

Maybe I should listen close.  Hang on their words.  Serve them some of God's good word and truth with their supper.
It may be the last chance.

Ready or not....
So I must remember each day.....
Every. Single. Day.
Slow down.....time will not....so I must.
Pour out.....the window is open but for a time.....pour out what REALLY matters....God's truth.
Fill them up.....so when life drains them empty....they know where to find fulfillment.

WARNING...This may be the last!
 







3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this!! Love your thoughts and how you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Truth! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry... is that because I'm a mom now? It's sad, I know, since I only have one and he's only a year old. But it just made me think about some of HIS lasts that have happened already! But it also makes me want to soak up every second and enjoy it. Thanks for posting, Kim!

    ReplyDelete