Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Great Weight Update

So it has been another month.  This month was a bit interesting.  I was really starting to feel in the groove.  I have been at it for 11 months now so it was feeling a bit comfortable.  I started not recording everything as soon as I ate it.  I estimated a bit more then usual.  Then when I weighed in the second week this month I was shocked to see that I had my first real gain of the year.  I gained 1.6 pounds in one week.   I was shocked.  I was disappointed.  I was like....NO WAY!  However, it was EXACTLY what I needed to happen.  I hadn't gained over the holidays.  I hadn't gained on vacations.  I hadn't gained more then .8 the entire time on the plan.  I was getting too confident.  I was getting too comfortable.  Well, I will tell you this.....I immediately became VERY uncomfortable and had a major reality check.  I could not coast.  I could not become comfortable.  If I did I would stop improving and start slipping up.  I went right back to tracking my food.  I went right back to measuring my portions and guess what....the next week I lost all I had gained plus some.  Whew!  So over all for the month I lost 5.6 pounds.  I am now down 79.6, so close to 80. I feel so much better not lugging an extra 79 pounds around!  No wonder I was so tired before!  I also feel refocused and re-energized from my scare!  It reminded me that the journey was not going to be a success only journey.  It was going to have ups and downs and a lot of sacrifice and a lot of hard work!  I am glad it happened.

I am still running four days a week.  I run 3-6 miles per run.  I am training for a 10 K.  I am running it my birthday weekend at Sunset Beach.  Really looking forward to it!  Randy is running it with me.  I have also taken up swimming laps once a week.  The kids have swim lessons at the Sportsplex each Saturday so instead of sitting and watching them I swim laps.  It's nice and feels very good on my tired legs.  I am also walking once a week when I have a break at co-op.  I enjoy listening to my praise music as I walk nice slow laps around the church. It breaks up the running to give my joints a break and it is a nice way to burn some extra calories!  Finally I am becoming more regular in my weights, planking, sit ups, wall sits, push ups, and stretching routine.  I do it 2 days most weeks.  So I am a regular exerciser, which still amazes me!  I feel fantastic and am getting stronger.

One victory this month was wearing out my tennis shoes.  I literally wore them out.  No tread left.  They would squeak when I would walk.  So Randy got me an AWESOME new pair of running shoes for Mother's Day.  I like them a lot.  Can't wait to see how long it takes to wear them out too!

Randy is doing great.  He works out about an hour everyday.  He runs 4 days and does the elliptical the other 3 days for right at an hour.  He runs between 3-7 miles per run.  He also does toning/weights several (2-3) times a week.  He is starting up a basketball team with some guys at work and is trying to work out practicing against Andrew and some of the guys he plays ball with.  Love the multi-purpose this activity serves.  Networking and socializing and spending time with son and his friends.  Not to mention a good workout!  He is very sweet to get up early and workout so I have time to workout once it is light out and to be done before he has to leave.  So thankful for him!  He is at work so I don't have his exact stats handy but he has lost REALLY close to 90 pounds.  I think 89 is the official number. 

One of the best benefits from losing weight that I have found is how it  has had a positive affect on the kids.  They have become much more active.  They, especially Sophie and Lydia, have made much healthier food choices and want to know about nutrition.  They will often mimic what I eat for breakfast rather then just having a toaster waffle or bowl of sugary cereal. 

So we are doing great.  Anxious to celebrate our year of healthy living!  Was hoping to make it to 100 pounds in a year....but doesn't look like that will happen.  I will settle for 90!
Just keep swimming!
Kim




1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. That was me too. I got comfortable, etc. Then I noticed that I had gained some pounds back. Instead of staying comfortable, it challenged me to stay on my game.

    Some people may not understand, but when you've been down that road and you know how you got there, you don't want to go back. I know mines was food idolatry and my heart doesn't want to go back there. So, I press and fight to stay focused.

    So encouraging. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete