Thursday, May 16, 2013

This Week

It's been a different week at our house.  Andrew and Sophie are off at camp so I'm down to just my 3 youngest and Lincoln.  It has definitely been a slower pace and much quieter.  It always tickles me when people say, "I've heard it is no different having 2 then it is 5....once you are outnumbered you are outnumbered."  This is always said by someone with 2 children because someone with 5 or 6 or 7 knows better!  It is actually a lot different.  I felt like my work load was cut in half this week!  Yes the older two help....but it is also more food to buy and cook.  More personalities to try to mesh.  More needs/wants/feelings/desires/discipline, correction to muddle through.  More clothes to wash.  More lessons to attend.  More activities and school work to teach and monitor.  So....anyway....it has been a much slower paced week!

I have enjoyed it.
On Monday we took the kids to Mountain Top Youth Camp.

It was a 2 hour drive but they had a good time.  We took two of Andrew's friends, one of Sophie's friends, and Lincoln in addition to our crew. It made the trip fly by.  We rode in a caravan with another friend and her kids so we stopped for lunch together at Wendy's which was a fun treat for everyone!

On Tuesday we did school, and they finished math for the year!!!!  We are all so excited! Then we went to the grocery store and to weight watchers and came home to do some cooking and brainstormed ideas of ways we could be a blessing to others.

The kids had such a blast with that and have been talking about it all week.  I'm trying to intentionally teach them that blessing others is a blessing.  They take after their Mama and tend to be naturally self-centered and so it is work for us all to become other centered!

TOTALLY RANDOM!!!!

Another thing I did on Tuesday that I'm excited about was to make an "I'm Bored" Jar for this summer.  It is such a neat idea I adapted from several ideas I saw posted on Pinterest.  The key to the jar is that they MUST do what is picked.  They only get one pick.  Once it is picked it is tossed.  It doesn't go back in the jar......they can do it again on their own time.....just not as an I'm bored pick!

Some of the ideas are fun kid ideas like:   Play hair salon....NO SCISSORS.  Paint a picture.  Climb a tree.

Some of the ideas encourage imagination: Go outside and have a yard safari.  Make jewelry.  Choreograph a dance.

Some of the ideas are simple treats to brighten up the day: Pop popcorn and watch a movie.  Go outside and eat a Popsicle.  Run in the sprinkler.

Some of the ideas are good exercise:  Take Mindy for a Walk.  Ride your scooter.  Create an outdoor obstacle course

Some of the ideas are helpful to mom:  Clean your room.  Do 1 chore of mom's choice.  Clean under bed. 

Some of the ideas are educational:  Read a book.  Practice Math Facts.  Write an extra page in your journal

Some of the ideas are training:  Plan a meal with mom.  Organize Toys.  Fold Load of Laundry

Some of them encourage spiritual growth:  Listen to Adventure in Odyssey CD.  Do a good deed.  Memorize a Bible Verse

Some of the ideas are being a blessing to others:  Find 5 toys to give away. Make a card to mail to a friend.  Do an act of service for anyone of your choice.

ALL the ideas are simple and kid directed and independent!

So they must be very careful about reporting boredom....cause they may not be so happy with the result!  We will see how it works out!

ANYWAY....BACK TO OUR WEEK

On Wednesday we went to The Homeschool Gathering Place.  One of my favorite places on earth to go.  The kids raided the free bin where they keep donations that they are giving away but not selling and they ended up with a several treasures including a couple word finds, a few new books, a math workbook and some stories on cassette.  They were thrilled.  Then they spent a half hour playing in the playroom while I rummaged through curriculum!  Ahhhh.....I love curriculum!  On the way home we stopped and picked strawberries!

 So much fun!!!


 YUMMY!





Today....is clean the house day.  We are getting ready for a big yard sale with Sophie's volleyball team so I have been busy cleaning out every nook and cranny!  We are also going to be inheriting some furniture this weekend so I am trying to make some room for that!  The kids have been out so much this week they have been playing happily this morning and enjoying all the long lost treasures I've been digging up as I scour the house!


The rest of the crew comes home tomorrow.  My friend is picking them up, so grateful for that!  I am excited to hear all about their week away.  Randy has the day off....I love his Flex Time Schedule!  He is going to watch the crew and gather all the "new" furniture from various locations while I go out with his mom and sister for a special shopping trip and lunch!  What an exciting end to a great week!










No comments:

Post a Comment