Thursday, March 28, 2013

Entertain Me!

One of our elders posted this quote a while back,"The church that can’t worship must be entertained. And men who can’t lead a church to worship must provide the entertainment."

The quote comes from  A. W Tozer.  He made it 45 years ago.  Wow-It still rings true today!

And I KEEP thinking about it.  

There is so much truth in his statement.  Sometimes the truth makes us mad.  Sometimes the truth brings conviction.  Yet the truth is still the truth.

In our society there is such a draw towards entertainment.  Instant, big, sparkly, loud, fun, exciting shows!  You can draw a crowd with the right mix of activities, celebrities, and publicity.  If drawing a crowd is the goal.....entertainment is a viable vehicle. 

However....are people being sanctified?
Is God being worshiped?
 

This is what I've been thinking about since I read that quote several weeks ago.  Do I want to be entertained or do I want to worship?

Last night after dinner we sat around for the better part of an hour discussing Easter related themes.  It all started when the children were showing off their Resurrection Basket to Daddy. 


They made them at co-op 


with the FABULOUS Mrs. Rebecca!

Then we had some laughs over the retelling of one of their co-op buddies who said the women were going to the tomb to "season Jesus' body" :0) PRECIOUS!

Yet we also marveled at the mysteries of scripture after Jesus died Matthew says, "The tombs were opened.  And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many."  Like Randy said...could we get one more follow up verse on that one....please!  A little more info.

Sophie wondered if the water jug at the cross was the same water jug that had been carried by the man the disciples were instructed to follow to find a Passover room (and the blue pickup truck :))

We recalled that if we will not praise him....even the rocks will cry out!  They split open when he died.  Did you know scientist have now discovered sound waves being emitted from rocks.....they have.

We were designed to worship.  Yet we....myself DEFINITELY included.....will settle for a good show.  

This Holy Week I pray we will seek to worship "the Lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world" and not the bunny that fills baskets.  I pray we will remember and teach our children what Easter is REALLY about.  He is worthy of worship and people really are seeking TRUTH in this lost world.  There is enough entertainment.  They don't need a show.  The world is better at entertainment.  The church really does not need to provide that....we need to lead people to Christ and to true worship.

That is one thing I think I would redo if I could in my parenting.  I have spent a lot of time and energy and money in the past trying to make sure the kids had fun and I think that is okay to a point, but I made it too important.  I can't redo what I have done....but I can do things differently now that I know better.

Looking forward to the Maundy Thursday service at church tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment