Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Scared

Today was a bit traumatic for me.  I don't want to be overly dramatic about it, but it really did shake me a bit.  I was just running along doing my interval training this morning, in an effort to improve my 5K time.  It was still pretty dark.  I was on the one minute fast.  I was booking and really trying to make it to the end of the road before my time was up.  I made it!  I turned quickly and started back up the road and out of nowhere I saw a dog barreling towards me.  I am a bit of a scaredy cat running before it is bright outside.  So I never wear headphones and I keep my eyes peeled.  But I am always looking for bad guys.  I never worried about animals.  I saw the dog coming and I stomped my foot, yelled no, and braced myself.  Evidently that is NOT the thing to do.  The dog bared his teeth, jumped on me and bit the back of my left leg.  The owner was present and pulled him off and I hurried away.  It hurt but more then the hurt was the fear.  It really did scare me.  I cried.  I called Randy.  I carry my phone with me.  It ruined my time, which also made me mad.  The worst part is that it added to my fear of running.  I don't like to be afraid.

I can tell you this though.  I am not going to quit.  I'm going to drink it in.  I'm going to learn from it.  I will now run with a stick or mace.  I'm going to feel the fear and I am going to put my sneakers on and go for a run in the morning. I am going to change my route though!  So if you think about it say a prayer for me.  I am scared, but I really want to face my fear.  Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off, but I really think it is important for me to run if I can. 






4 comments:

  1. Oh Kim! I am so sorry. How awful! I am so proud of you for so many reasons! You are an amazing mom, I admire you for running and your drive is incredible. I know you can do it. You have faced more scary things than a dog before and altough I know you are afriad, I know you can do it!!!! Probably wise to carry a can of mace, ok, lesson learned. Tomorrow, look for something amazing! I am going to ask God to show you something beautiful in your run that will make it worth your while!! One step at a time pretty lady - you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate that, Kim. And I understand. I was bitten by a neighbor dog (on the rear end!) in elementary school and I spent the next....10 or 12 years terrified of dogs. Fear can be powerful and get such a hold over us. Dogs are really great, I found out once I met your parents' dogs actually! But I let one unfortunate event keep me afraid for such a long time. You are wise to tackle it head on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you run? I just saw this post... I will now pray in the morning that your run is fun, peaceful, and a time to cleanse your mind for the day... Yesterday, a saint Barnard charged at me and alex while his owner stood there and said nothing... I'm afraid the "mommy bear" inside of me came out a little on that dumb man... But the dog backed off when we ignored it and the owner put him back on a leash... Then, I "politely" reminded him of leash laws...

    It is scary to not be in control... Praying that your fears subsides

    ReplyDelete