Sunday, March 10, 2013

Wild One

My heart has been full lately.  I have children that vary from highly motivated to do school to highly motivated to avoid school.  Compliant to a fault children reside in my house and strong willed children that would cause Dr. Dobson himself to flinch!  How they can have the same parents continuely baffles me!  I have a child who wakes up, rushes through breakfast, throws on her clothes and rushes to do math...while smiling mind you!  I have another child who must be PUSHED out of bed, assisted in brushing his teeth, physically dressed, and forced to do math....EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  They are twins.

Each is a blessing and each has its challenges, in very different ways!

Ahhh.....my kids are different!

My sister-in-law, Holly, sent me a wonderful article she found after we had shared some of our parenting struggles.  It was so encouraging to me!  If you have a reluctant learner I would highly encourage you to read it!

Here is a quote to give you an idea of the article:


"I’ve been thinking about my mama friends for whom the start of the school year is a difficult time, because the classroom has proven to be a tough place for their child to display his particular brand of genius.
For these precious mamas, starting school means revisiting old worries and facing new ones. It means tears and tense phone calls and scary conferences and comparisons and lots of fear and anger and suspicion and Oh My God, Is He All rights and What Are We Doing Wrongs?"

You can read it in in its entirety here: GREAT ARTICLE

ANYWAY
 
 School can be a difficult time.  My boy wants to lead.  He wants to battle.  He wants to conquer.  He wants to defend.  He wants to climb.  He wants to run.  He wants to build.  He wants to create. He wants to dig.  He wants to get dirty.  He  wants to relate.   He does not want to sit still.  He does not want to write.  He does not want to read.  He does not want to calculate.  He does not want to be quiet.  He most definitely does not want to bathe or have his nails trimmed or get a hair cut. 
So what is a Mama to do?
 I am a girl Mama.  By that I don't mean I like girls better....I don't.  I absolutely love my boys and girls.  I just mean I am a sit still, be quiet, wipe your face, check off your list, color in the lines, lets do our makeup and have a tea party kind of Mama.  

Yet God has blessed me with this man child.  I have two, but one is very much a pleaser, which is a whole other issue for a whole other day.   I just know he has a mighty plan for my boys.  I'm trusting him.  My daily interactions with my youngest sons at times push me to the absolute limits of my patience.  I am growing and learning and stretching and messing up.  

Yet.....God chose me to be his mother.  I want him to know that when the world tells him he is not okay and when others make clear he is not acceptable.  When others point out his flaws....his shortcomings....his missing that mark.  That his Mama thinks he is wonderful.  That God created him exactly the way he did for a reason.  Yes....school must be done.  Discipline is necessary.  Respect for others and authority is required.  Yet.....I have a boy born to lead.  Willing to go dangerous places.  Fearless.  Kind.  Energetic.  Strong.  Passionate.  Creative....and even though that may make my days loud, messy, hard, exhausting....I have this inkling down deep in my soul.....that God is going to use this boy.  That is my constant prayer and even on the days I just cry and shake my head....I know this boy is the blessing of a lifetime and I am so glad that he calls me Mom.

I better get to bed.....I'll need all the energy I can muster for tomorrow....cause I have a feeling it is game on!

In the trenches,
Kim

 


1 comment: