Wednesday, January 9, 2013

After Christmas Weight Update

So....What a month it has been.  I have been to tea parties, Christmas parties, family dinners, restaurant dinners, and trips to the beach.  Not to mention all the baking I did and all the baking I was a recipient of!!!  YUMMY!   I have eaten well......honestly probably a bit too well!  My favorite holiday treat had to be the meringues at Emma's tea....followed closely by the scones with homemade whipped cream.  I also enjoyed mashed potatoes, apple pie, cookies, broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, hush puppies, barbecue......OK I better stop now!  I don't want you to get the wrong idea, I did not eat mindlessly through the holidays....but I did eat.  I had promised myself at the beginning of the season....whatever happened....I was in this for the long haul.  I was going to write down EVERYTHING I ate.....the good, the bad, the ugly!  I did it!  I was nervous because I ate a LOT!

However, not all my food indulgences ended up being bad.  I discovered two wonderful treats this month that I am incorporating in my life: brussel sprouts and tea!  I had obviously had both before, but now I want them to be a part of my life.  Tea is now a daily indulgence for me.  It is calorie free....I add a packet of Splenda and it is warm, sweet deliciousness!  Chocolate Strawberry is still my favorite but it is followed closely by Sugar Plum Spice and Sugar Cookie.  I decided there is absolutely no reason for me to wait a whole year to enjoy the beauty of tea!  It has become a highlight of my morning and afternoon.  Brussel sprouts were never on my list of favorite foods.  I pretty much disliked them.  Then my sister, Stacy, cooked them for me.  FRESH, on the oven, in a bit of butter= WONDERFUL!  Seriously, they are now one of my new favorite foods!  We had them over Christmas and then I asked her to make them for Dad's birthday.  I gobbled up two big helpings both times!!!

Now the saving grace of my weight loss endeavors this month was exercise.  I worked out a lot.  With all I was eating I had to!  I worked out almost every single day.  I did take Christmas off and a few other days that I was super sore from running BUT I also did a few EXTRA HARD workouts.  I blew my former 410 calorie workout out of the water with a killer 640 calorie half elliptical and half running workout.  Randy is really close to 1,000 calorie workout.  AMAZING!

My exercise highlight of the month without a doubt has been running.  I started on the beach but I have continued at home.  I LOVE it.  It is a bit rough on my left side joints....especially my hip and ankle.....so I don't do it  everyday.....but I want to everyday.....which is crazy....because I thought I hated exercising!

I was nervous about seeing the results-because last Tuesday Weight Watchers was closed so I couldn't weigh in.  So my monthly weight loss total was........ only 3.2 pounds.  Not great.  But I will take it.  I only averaged .8 pounds a week this month.  Which is way under my overall 1.9 per week total.  But during the meeting last night I learned the average American weight gain in December is 5-7 pounds....so I left feeling much better.  I certainly didn't gain weight!  So the scale is still creeping in the right direction!  My total weight loss is 56.2 pounds in just over 6 months!  Praise the Lord! His word brought conviction and that has brought change.  It's not a diet.  It's learning to treat God's temple the way I should have treated it all along.  I have been lazy and I have been over-indulgent and that is not God honoring.  It is still a daily struggle to put to death the sin of gluttony and the sin of laziness.  I tend toward the path of least resistance.  I am weak, but HE is strong!

Now for a funny.  I was filling out some forms for a child of mine and one of the questions was asking if either parent had ever been diagnosed with a learning disability (I know it is PC to say difference and I am trying to learn but when I was coming along we called them disabilities....so bear with me its part of my story)  I wasn't sure so I called my mom.  I asked her if I had ever been diagnosed with a learning disability.  She paused, seemed puzzled, and said, "No I don't think so."  Then she said, "I've never heard of that."  I was like seriously?  You've never heard of a learning disability.  She said, "You always hated running, even when you were on the track team...but I don't think you were diagnosed with a running disability."  I LAUGHED SO HARD!!!!  After I clarified what I had said she had a good laugh too! 

All laughing aside...this girl who has hated running and exercising is changing.  It has taken 6 months of going through the motions....but I am actually starting to want to run.  I still hate the elliptical.  But running disability or not......this girl likes to run.  I am slow, have terrible technique, and so far to go....but at least I have something to work towards!

Still plugging away!
Kim

PS Randy is doing really well still too, but he's at work and I don't have his stats available.  He's also been bitten by the running bug.  He got jealous when I ran on the beach and had to start too :) I'm really impressed with him!  He ROCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment