Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Beautiful Body

One of the things that has struck me this summer is how beautiful the body of Christ is.  I have gotten to see pockets of it near and far and experience it in a new way this summer.  As we have gotten to know people at our new church it has been neat to meet all these Christians from around Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill that I didn't know before.  It is neat to realize that there are little pockets of light roaming all over the area that I had not known, yet we have the connection of being Christians.  Then when I had the opportunity to go to Guatemala this summer I was again struck by how beautiful it was to meet people in an entirely different country worshiping and serving and living for the same Savior.  It makes the BIG world seem a little smaller and much more connected.  Then this week I got to see the body in action.  It has been a blessing to witness. 

A dear friend of mine, Rebecca, sent out an email plea for help.  I've blogged about Rebecca before. She is a teacher in our co-op.  She is an amazing, sweet, Christian woman that I love.  Her cousin, who I don't know, has recently traveled to Boston to have a very experimental procedure done.  Her life is literally in the balance.  She has been in the hotel hospital with her 11 year old daughter for several weeks.  She is very sick.  She doesn't know a soul in Boston.  And her mother's heart worried not for herself, but for her daughter.  She wanted her to have some fresh air, to play, to get out.....and yet she was helpless.  So she shared her concerns with her cousin Rebecca.  Who sent out an email to some of her Christian friends wondering if anyone knew anyone they trusted in the area that may be a contact or resource for help.  Well I immediately thought of the son and daughter-in-law of our long time, beloved pastor.  They moved to Boston several years ago to plant a church. 

Let me tell you.  Leigh's response......a blessing.  Without a moments hesitation....without regard to her life....her schedule....knowing the details.....nothing....her answer....YES!  My precious friend said yes....and has since worked out the details.  She is a young mom to three young kids.  She has her hands full....yet when she saw a need......her answer: YES!  I know Leigh has and will be a blessing to Rebecca's cousin and daughter and I know she has blessed Rebecca and I with her sweet, quick, selfless response.  I am again reminded of the beauty of the body of Christ.  Him using our hands to do his work....in different places....in different ways.....so that all men will know that Jesus is THE Christ the son of God.  Thank you Leigh for laying down your plans, your agenda, your life to serve.  I pray you will be blessed ten-fold.

I am so thankful for the body of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment