Thursday, November 13, 2014

Stewart Family Update

I am such a bad blogger!  It's been so long since I did an update on my crew and so much has changed I thought it was probably about that time!  Randy is doing well.  He completed his first half marathon in 1 hour and 45 minutes (or there abouts) and is toying with the idea of training for a marathon.  He is amazing!

Andrew has had the most changes as of late.  He has joined us at Cresset!  He made the decision to stay home schooled because of some basketball plans that did not work out as he had hoped.  It was disappointing but I think one of the main reasons may have been to get him where he is right now.  I never would have guessed that Andrew would be at Cresset.  However, he is and he LOVES it. I am thrilled to have us all together and under one schoolhouse roof again.   He is thrilled to be swimming on the Varsity swim team.  Waking himslef up at 5:00 Monday-Thursday.  He picks up a friend and goes to practice for an hour before school starts, then he goes to school, hangs out with his friends, does homework, works out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at Crossfit.  Does dry land swim team practice Tuesday and Thursday.  Works a shift Friday, Saturday, and Sunday life guarding at Duke.  He stays busy.  He sleeps well.  No late nights up with nothing to do.....He is worn flat out and I like it!  He is still doing dual enrollment at Durham Tech he is able to leave campus and attend his History class  He's taking Pre-Calculus, Bible, AP Language, and Health at Cresset, He also serves as a Teachers Assistant for me and the Kindergarten teacher during a free period, which is VERY helpful and his Mama LOVES seeing him and so do my students!  He also has an elective of board games.  How fun is that?  And is on the Tech Team that helps out with the schools Drama's and performances.  When I asked if he was happy with his decision or if he was disappointed or sad he immediately responded that he just wishes he had started earlier.  So glad that he is with us and that he is so happy and doing so well.  Love my boy. 

Sophia is LOVING school and working VERY hard.  She is so faithful in her work.  She does her work and she turns it in on time.  She has a fabulous teacher who gives them lots of fun projects.  So far she has done a mammal poster for science which involved lots of research culminating in a poster and presentation on panda bears.  She has done several book reports.  She has done a missions project on Australia.  She is currently working on developing a math game for a math game day her class is having before Thanksgiving.  Socially she is thoroughly enjoying life.  She loves her classmates, she loves her youth group,  she loves people.  She is growing up so fast and is becoming a beautiful young lady!

Jackson has been the biggest success story.  Transitioning to Cresset has been hard on him.  He is not a morning person.  He is not a sit still in your seat person.  He is not a wear a shirt person.  All of which Cresset requires!  However, a young man who struggled to read and write when he began school has finished his first quarter with an A in math and a B in phonics and spelling.  He did not recieve ANY discipline slips and his teacher raves about him.  He has also come off his ADHD medication completely.  So far this quarter he has straight A's.  His reading has exploded.  To say I am proud of him would be a HUGE understatement.  He has even started getting up and getting dressed without much hastle most mornings.  He is the first to get his homework done each afternoon and rarely watches TV.  He plays outsde or face times his friends whenever he has a free moment.  He has made several friends and still has his contangeous joyful spunk!  He ofen volunteers to lead his class in prayer and his teacher told me he prays that we can tell more people about Jesus.  I love that boy.

Sweet Lydia said she thinks she may be the class pet.  Randy asked if she meant teachers pet.....and told her there was a BIG difference!  Well class pet or teachers pet she is a doll!  She is doing very well in school and first quarter received staright A's.  She LOVES to read and for Christmas has asked for 3 different Little House books.  She is reading one at school and LOVES it.  She started writing her first chapter book yesterday.  When my friend Sarah, a fellow teacher, asked Lydia what she writing about she responded, "about when I was a little girl."  I can't wait to read it!  Lydia goes back and forth about if she likes Cresset or homeschool better.  She likes both.  Yesterday Cresset was her favorite.  Today, we shall see!  She is planning to tryout for the roll of Jane Banks in Mary Poppins.  I think almost every little girl in the elementary school is trying out....but I'm excited for her to try.  She has to say lines, sing solos, and dance at the tryout.

Audrey is also doing very well at school.  She too made straight A's.  She has lots of friends.  She seems very happy.  However, she misses homeschooling the most.  She misses her dog.  She misses her mommy.  She spends most of recess snuggled up next to me on the bench.  She's not unhappy.  She is smiling and laughing and chatting away at lunch.  She talks about friends and fun....she just misses being at home.  Which makes me sad. 

I am doing well.  I love my job.  I enjoy pouring into kids lives.  I enjoy meeting sweet families.  I enjoy developing relationhips with fellow teachers and administrators and staff.  I miss my friends.  That has suffered the most with my working.  And my blog.  It has also suffered!  I just don't have the same amount of flexibility with my time.  My days are very full.  I'm trying to figure out how to manage family, work, household duties, and friendships, while maintaining time for quiet time and church involvement and exercise and errands!  There is a definate learning curve!  The first few months were a bit overwhelming, but still good.  Now life seems more manageable although still very busy.  One of the biggest changes has been we don't do extra activities and practices.  Andrew does swim and take guitar still but he can drive himself.  The girls are clogging but they ride with Randy's mom....so I'm not running anybody anywhere.  BLESSING!  When we get home....we are home!  Genius!

We go to bed MUCH earlier and we hold dinner time as sacred.  We practice a lot more team work in getting things done at home and for the home along with giving homework assistance. 

I really am enjoying this new phase. Love seeing my kids learn, grow, and mature.
(Sorry there are no pictures....my phone is being repaired)

1 comment:

  1. Kim, you and your family make me proud! I am thankful to be your dad.

    ReplyDelete