Thursday, November 20, 2014

Grandma Halsey

Randy's Grandma died today.  She was 92.  So it wasn't shocking, yet it was still somehow unexpected.  She still lived fairly independently.  She had an apartment adjoining Bob and Ruth;s home.  She was sharp as a tack.  She could talk sports and never messed up a great grandchild's name and she had like 10 or so.  She played cards and taught so many others to play; her children, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren, her daughter in--laws....She was the BEST!  What a trove of precious memories.  I remember traveling to Pennsylvania as a teenager with Randy's family for Thanksgiving.  I always could count on good food, card games, and sweet fellowship.  She and Grandpa Halsey just took me right in.  I always felt like a part of the family.  So loved and accepted. 

She was so kind.  I never heard her speak ill of anyone....ever.  She taught me how to peel hard boiled eggs without destroying the white of the egg in the process.  She would always tell me how much she liked my grandparents.  Which meant a lot to me.  Especially once they passed away and she always made a point of saying how much she enjoyed them.  I'm gonna miss Grandma.

My kids will miss her too.  Andrew could often be found on Grandma's couch visiting or watching a game or playing cards.  He really loved her.  She would listen to him.  She would get excited about sports with him  Before he started school at Cresset he would often go by and visit during the day.  They had a unique and special relationship.  They were buddies.  It was the same with Randy.  My guys loved her and she loved them.  Grandma had a gift for making others feel accepted and unconditionally loved. 



Lots of tears were shed by many today.  She was well loved.  I want to record a few memories from today before I forget them.  Randy was off work today.  Which was a blessing.  Jackson stayed home from school today too.  He just wasn't feeling 100%.  It turns out Jackson was a blessing today as Randy and Rhonda and Ruth dealt with a lot of the details of death and loss. 

Jackson's response on hearing Grandmas had died was, "but I loved her!"  Later at the funeral home as they talked funeral prices Jackson looked the funeral director in the eye and posed an important question, "Let's say an 8 year old kids parents both died.....Who would pay for the funeral?" After being assured they didn't bill 8 year old kids he followed up with, "What if they have a 16 year old brother?"  To his relief they don't charge 16 year old children either.  Love my boy.

Then they were off to the cemetery where they were picking a plot for Grandma Halsey.  It was between Grandpa Halsey and Matthew, Jackson's brother that he never got to meet.  I guess this raised some questions for Jackson and after hearing about Matthew's death he told aunt Rhonda he was going to be a scientist so that he could figure out what happened to Matthew and help it to not happen to anyone else.  I love my sweet boy and am glad he was there to minister in his own little way to his Grandma and aunt and Daddy today. 

Finally, I want to remember God's goodness today.  This was a sad time.  Yet God was so in the details.  Ruth found Grandma this morning and it was Thursday so Randy was already at home and available to be with his family.  I also was able to grieve and process and be in touch with Randy throughout they day because I had a student teacher in my classroom for the day.  God's timing and provision is so perfect.  Then both Sophie and Andrew's after school practices were canceled for various reasons today.  Again freeing us up to go home right after school. I don't think these were all coincidences, I think this is the work of good God who lays out the details of our days.   I already mentioned how Jack was a blessing throughout the day.  God really is in the details.

We had a nice evening visiting with Randy's family and went out to dinner and laughed and cried a little and shared some memories.  We will hold a memorial service for the family around Christmas when out of town relatives will be here.  So grateful for Grandma's life.  Thankful she knew the Lord and is now pain free and whole and healthy.  So happy I got to share a bit of life with this precious woman.  She was a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment