Saturday, January 9, 2016

Surgery Update #2

Before reading....please know that this post has gross foot pictures and are fairly graphic....so you many not want to continue.

You have been warned!


Well let me just say I have turned a MAJOR corner since my last post!  I am not in much pain anymore!  I am much more mobile!  I am feeling soooo much better!




The pain has subsided gradually since around January 2.  I am on no pain killers, aside from the occasional Tylenol.   Praise the Lord! 

My mom drove me to my follow-up appointment on Tuesday and I had my initial cast removed....



I was pretty freaked out by what I saw....Feel free to stop reading here!


YUCKY!  You're Welcome.  I warned you!

This is where they added the plate to the top of my foot.  It is itchy and tender.

Evidently this is where he snipped the tendons in my leg to lengthen them. There is one small cut on each side.  I feel a lot of stretching and a pulling in my calf area where this was lengthened.



This is where they added bone, cut the heel bone, and put in the screw.  It is a little traumatized and where I have experienced the most pain.


I'm pretty bruised up and I'm very bandaged up, but I am definitely on the mend!


The appointment involved removal of stitches, changing cast, review of the surgery and time for questions and answers with doctor.  He also explained  the next step in recovery.


The next step is similar to the last.....four weeks in this cast, which is MUCH more comfortable then the last cast!   I'm still completely non-weight bearing.  The good news is I do have a little more energy each day and no more pain!

Unfortunately, I did take a tumble on Wednesday evening.  I was hopping down the stairs to go to church.  On the last step we had a loose step.  I didn't fall but commented to Randy it was loose.  I think I was not focusing and I jumped off the last step to the ground and I banged my injured ankle into the ground.  It hurt, badly.  Fortunately Randy was right there and kept me from completely falling.  I twisted myself pretty badly and had a wrenched knee and back but after a day of rest and some extra Tylenol I am doing fine.  Trying to be very careful.  AGH!

On another note I just want to say I am feeling VERY loved!  My family has been well fed and that has been a humongous blessing to me!  I have been absolutely spoiled!  Goodies, like scones and coloring books and M&M's and scooter bling, from my buddies.  Visits from my friends.  Waited on hand and foot by Randy, Mama, and the kids!  Y'all know how to make a girl feel loved!  I have a friend who got my kids to co-op and taught my class for me!  Another friend watched my kids between co-op and church.  My mom, who has been and angel, ran Sophie to a last minute orthodontist appointment to have a bracket fixed.  One friend even brought some liquid Tylenol by for my kids when I ran out and couldn't get to the store!  I LOVE my people!

I am starting to go out a little this week.  I've been to church and to swim meets and to the doctor and Target and ridden around on errands with Randy.  Next week I may try to drive.  I am very nervous about the thought of leaving the house without Randy or Andrew, but I think between Sophie and I we can probably handle it!  We shall see.  That is the goal for the week.  Slowly getting back into the swing of things!

It has been difficult to be so immobile.  I feel pretty useless.  I am a goer and a doer.  I am not a sitter around-er.  It is hard to watch my house be so messy.  Even though my mom cleaned it top to bottom and my kids are constantly doing little jobs I assign to them and Randy is doing a great job to keep things running.  It just takes non-stop attention to keep it somewhat presentable when there are 7 people and a  big dog living in a space.  I am unable to give it that attention.  So I'm having to just accept the state of our house and it is more difficult then I thought.  The worst part is I feel good and I want to do things, I just can't. 

Our pastor has said several times in the last months that the value of a human is that they were created in the image of God, not in what they can do and contribute.  Babies and the elderly are not less valuable because they can't contribute as much.  I am constantly reminding myself of this truth, because I just can't do that much!  This is hard for me.  I like to work.  I like to accomplish.  I like tasks....So just being is hard.  I think this is exactly where the Lord has me right now though, because there are lessons for me to learn as I sit and as I wait upon the Lord.

Thankful for progress every single day!

Kim









No comments:

Post a Comment