Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Surgery Update

I have attempted to write this post a couple times.  It has been harder then I anticipated and even the simple task of putting a few sentences together has been a struggle.  I am okay.  I must admit I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I sincerely believed that I would be pretty out of it for the first week and by the second week begin to feel much better.  HOWEVER, it has been 9 days since surgery and I am a mess!

The pain is pretty much under control.  Mornings are the hardest because I am beginning to sleep well at night and so I go longer without pain medication.  Which means I need to catch up a little  on the pain in the morning.  I spend the morning fairy nauseous, from lack of food and lack of appetite which is paired with the need to take tons of meds.  I'm taking Iron, B 12, D2, and thyroid medicine because I need them.  In addition I'm taking Oxycodone (every 4 hours for pain), Vit D for 8 weeks to help rebuild the bone that was cut, a stool softener, multi vitamin, vitamin C (to help absorb minerals better), Baby aspirin (blood clot preventative), 2 extra strength Tylenol every 8 hours for pain, I was taking an oral nerve block 3 times a day for pain but that has ended, I did have a pain ball which was a catheter directly into my nerve to block the pain, but that has come out.  I also have an anti nausea medicine which has been helpful.  I think the amount of medicine has been causing headaches too.  I feel in a fog.

However, I also have felt very loved.  Randy has been wonderful.  Andrew has been awesome.  The little girls have been precious.  Jackson and Sophia are also ever willing to serve.  They have truly served and blessed me as has our church body.  Wonderful meals,
thoughtful gifts


cards, childcare, verses, flowers, treats, visits, texts, emails, phone calls,  prayers. I am overwhelmed with the love others have shown.

I am also frustrated.  I can do very little.  I fold a basket of laundry and have to take a nap. 

Sophie rigged up a system for the hangers on my scooter!


Not just a little rest, like a 2 hour nap!  I try to go along on a quick errand and end up in bed for the rest of the day.  I am worn out.  I had no idea surgery would be this hard to recover from.  I thought I would be right back in the swing of things.  That has not been the case!  I get bored.  I'm not really much of a TV person.  I like to keep busy and my lack of energy makes for a lack of productivity which is difficult for me!

I am following Dr. orders and am completely non-weight bearing.  I did stumble once and banged my big toe on the floor and that was very painful but so far I have had no other mishaps.  Praise the Lord!

So that's how things are going.  I'm resting up and looking forward to my appointment on January 5.  I anticipate the splint I am in coming off and I think that I will get a quick glimpse of my new foot before it is casted for another 6 or so weeks. Sigh.  We plan to start back to school Monday, so that should be very interesting!  Big discussion at our house is what color cast do I get.  Leaning towards green to support CCA swimmers!

I would appreciate prayers for my spirits to stay up.  I do tend to get a bit discouraged.  Also prayers that my quiet times will be fruitful and I am able to retain some of what I am reading. I'm having a very hard time focusing and I really need to stay in the word. Prayer for safety and protection from falls or injury is also appreciated.  Prayers for my family to have extra measures of endurance and patience in putting up with a very limited Mommy.

This road is longer then I realized!

1 comment:

  1. Yes I know what is like. I had same issues after total knee replacement. I was humbled with it all and realized humility was something God was teaching me

    ReplyDelete