Saturday, June 9, 2012

What's that Smell?

I have had a severe case of Blogger's Block.  I just have no clue what to blog about.  I feel pretty spent emotionally.  I feel pretty routine as far as what's happening in my world these days.  I feel pretty vulnerable spiritually.  I feel pretty depleted intellectually.  I feel very inadequate physically.  So what on earth is a blogger to blog about????

Well this morning as I was taking a little stroll about my neighborhood trying to sort out some of my issues.  I kept noticing wonderful smells. 

Freshly cut grass.  Mmmmmm
A whiff of sweet smelling gardenias as I stepped onto the front porch.  Mmmmm

It was such a nice, quiet walk.  The neighborhood was still asleep.  The hustle and bustle of the day and the chores of the weekend and joyful noises of lazy summertime weekends have not started yet.  It was still and it was quiet and it was wonderful.

As I came back in to my own quiet house....which is unbelievable, that it is quiet I mean....not that I made it back, because there are 11 people tucked away here!  That is a FULL but wonderfully fun house!  I decided a cup of coffee may inspire a blog.....so as I opened our Costco, vacuum sealed, JUMBO sized, Duncan Donuts Coffee.....I inhaled deeply....and then stuck my head inside and repeated.....Mmmmmmm.  Its almost as good as walking in Starbucks.

Then I had an epiphany.....I'll blog about stuff that smells good!  I know fascinating....You're welcome!
Have you seen the Saturday Night Live sketch where the "superstar" girl sticks her fingers in her armpits and inhales deeply?  So funny!  But also so true....some things in life just make you want to inhale deeply.  Now for me personally, my armpits aren't one of them....but to each his own!

New Crayons, Markers, Glue, A new package of erasers, A new package of pencils.....a new package of paper.....okay-You get the point....New School Supplies....Can I just say....I LOVE THEM!!!!!  Not a little....but a LOT!  I think that is one of the main reasons I wanted to be a teacher.  Nothing quite speaks to me like a new, pointy, just opened box of crayons......MMMMMM-MMMMM!

Oh and I do love Play-Doh.  Mmmmmm

and Randy's aftershave....YUMMY! 
Freshly baked cookies....
Peaches.....Strawberries......Dirt from a garden......Mmmmmm.....
The ocean.......what a wonderful world filled with wonderful smells.  God could have made the world smell-less (is that a word?  I guess I mean without smell....but I like smell-less better :)
I'm so thankful he didn't, well most of the time I'm thankful for being able to smell.

So today......I'm going to inhale deeply.  Thank the Lord for the gift of smell and go clean out my closet.

Happy weekend....Hope it is filled with sweet scents!

1 comment: