Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Think I Made a New Friend

So changing churches is a lonely business.  There is a definite loss and grieving that goes along with the process.  So we've been visiting a particular church for the last month or so and this week Randy was going to be out of town on Sunday.  So to go or not to go was the question?  Hmmmmm  The kids were exhausted from a super busy week and so was I.  I was really tempted to sleep in and just skip. I was also VERY anxious.  I was scared.  I didn't really know anyone and this church has Sunday School for the children but then the kids go into the worship service with the parents and 4 of my children do fine....but one of my children is VERY wiggly....and VERY talkative....and I was VERY anxious.   I talked to Randy about it and he said that it was fine but I could tell he wanted me to go....he just wasn't going to pressure me.
So......I prayed about it.  I prayed that if the Lord wanted us to go we would wake up and be well rested and then I went to bed....
So.....needless to say I woke up well rested and so did everyone else.  So we reluctantly dressed and loaded into the car and set off.
I was REALLY nervous!
And....it went well.  Andrew ran right off to his group.  Sophie went into her class without any tears!  Jackson, Lydia, and Audrey tore into the nursery.  Then I had to go to my class.....alone.  My throat was tight.  I felt winded.  I really thought I may have a panic attack.  So I got a sip of water, took a deep breath, walked in and sat down.  It was difficult.....but I did it.  Right after Sunday School I ran to collect all the kids and go to worship.  I spent the entire service a ball of nerves.  Because Andrew didn't show up after Sunday School.  What happened?  Was he okay?  Where was he?  I was counting on him being there to sit between Lydia and Audrey.  It was just me and them.....and it went fine.  Andrew ran down right after service and told me he misunderstood.  He thought we were supposed to meet up in the balcony and he had arrived late from his class and didn't want to interrupt the service by coming down.  Whew!  I felt better.  We had made it.  Everyone was safe.  Now we could go home.  We survived. 
Then.....
A sweet lady behind me asked how long we had been attending this church.  I recognized her from the pool and had seen her in the halls of the church but didn't really know her....she was just a familiar face.  I told her that we had only been visiting for a few weeks and she said them too!  It turns out our first Sunday was her first Sunday.  We laughed.  We both assumed the other had been there for years.  Nope!  We were both brand new!  Since then we've gotten to know each other a little.  We have had several chances to sit and talk and I really like her.  She has 2 sweet girls the ages of my youngest girls, she home schools, she lives nearby, she seems very down to earth....very sweet..she is somewhat reserved.....and very real, I really like her.  I'm  glad Randy and the Lord encouraged me to face my fears and go last Sunday.  I'm really glad that she was brave enough to strike up a conversation.  I think I made a new friend and I am really happy about that.
So this week I guess I get to try again!  Randy is going to be away again!  My new friend is going to be out of town.  But now I'm feeling much braver and much more optimistic!  Amazing what having a friend can do for you.  Maybe I'll be really brave and strike up a conversation and make another friend!  We'll see!

Hope your having a good week!
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Am so proud of you Kim! That would be really hard for me too, yet you faced your fears and the Lord went before you and provided a safe place with a kind word from a friend. He is faithful. Love you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you Kim. I would have been nervous too, and probably stayed home. But you faced your fear and God was there to hold your hand..and even put someone in your path. HE is faithful!

    ReplyDelete